4 Weeks After Rhinoplasty Can You Damage Anything if You Stick a Q Tip Farther Than You Should?

Today was cleaning my nostrils out with a q tip went farther than I wanted to to get a booger out and felt a crack. Assuming it was a crack but not sure only way I cld describe it. But wasn't bleeding or got no pain whatsoever. And the "crack" wasn't dramatic. Just paranoid and want everything to be perfect. Cld I have done something? Thanks

Q-Tip Insertion Deep Into The Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Inserting a Q-tio into the nose deeper than recommended is not a good idea whatsoever as it increases the risks to damaging the soft and fragile nasal tissue at 4 weeks post-op.

Therefore, it is urged that patients stick their surgeons instructions when cleaning their noses.

As for now, I recommend that you consult with your surgeon to examine your nose in a out making sure that you did not cause any possible at this point; the absence of bleeding and pain does not guarantee the absence of a damage.

I hope this helps and please be cautious when cleaning your nose or doing any other activity that could be a potential cause of nasal trauma.

Thank you of your inquiry.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Using Q-tips to clean the nose following rhinoplasty.

+1

As part of my recommended postop routine, I recommend that patients use a Q-tip moistened with saline:hydrogen peroxide (1:1 ratio) to gently cleanse the incisions at the base of the nose.  The Q-tip should not be used at any time to clean deep in the nasal cavity as it may provoke bleeding.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Q -Tip in Nose 4 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

I would not stick a q-tip in my nose 4 weeks after rhinoplasty, especially "further than you should". I suggest you see your surgeon to eliminate your anxiety.

Qtip Trauma

+1

Using a Q-Tip 4 weeks post surgery is generally okay, but as you learned caution should always be observed. The general rule is do not put anything in the nose after surgery unless directed by the surgeon or medical staff. An in person exam would be necessary to ensure that no damage was done. Contact your surgeon for him/her to take a look.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cleaning nose

+1

Using a q-tip to clean the nose at 4 weeks after surgery usually is OK. As for the crack you heard, I can not be sure without and exam. You should check in with your surgeon.

Qtip trauma after rhinoplasty

+1

Well, you definitely run a chance of damaging something if you stick Q-tip further than you should. However, based on your description of the event, it seems that you just cracked a q-tip shaft and nothing else.  Be more careful in the future, and let your surgeon know if you develop any concerning symptoms over the next few days.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Rhino's a Crackin'

+1

Four weeks, Q-tip gone astray, no bleeding, no discharge, no pain: Well, it is best to inform your Cosmetic Surgeon of the circumstances and have her/him examine your nose.  Better safe than sorry.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I ask my Rhinoplasty patients not to stick anything in their noses, no fingers, Q tips or the like for at least 6 months.  At 1 month post Rhinoplasty Q tips can open suture lines or cause significant bleeding inside the nose and as such, should be contraindicated, IMO.  As always however, you should follow the post Rhinoplasty instructions of your Rhinoplasty Surgeon since you are under his/her surgical care at this time.