3 Weeks After Rhinoplasty, Bump on Nose Seems to Have Come Back. Why?

I had a Rhinoplasty to improve the appearance of my nose. I know all about the swelling lasting for a long time. I still have some swelling. However, the bump that's on my nose seems to have come back and it looks almost exactly like it did pre-surgery. It's very irritating to me. Isn't a bump on my nose supposed to go away when it's filed down? How can that possibly come back from swelling?

Same Bump on Nose 3 Weeks after Surgery

+2

Three weeks after surgery, swelling  may be temporary even though it is in the same location as your pre-op bump. This may be secondary to irritation of the surrounding area during the rhinoplasty. Wait another 3-6 months to evaluate your result. Stay in touch with your surgeon.

Bump on Nose 3 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Strategery,

Sometimes when a bump is rasped from the nasal dorsum during rhinoplasty there can be inflammation of the periosteal lining of the bone.  There can be increased swelling of the nose after rhinoplasty especially at the junction of where the dorsal cartilage and bone meet.  Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  If the swelling persists for a few more weeks, perhaps you can have a very small amount of hyaluronic acid filler injected above or below the bump to camouflage it while your nose continues to heal over the next few months.  I would wait 12 months before considering any revision surgery, or concluding that "nothing was done".  Good luck, be well, and hope that your nose settles to your liking.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Soft tissue swelling in the area where the bump was removed from your nose is very common after rhinoplasty

+1

Soft tissue swelling in the area where the bump was removed from your nose is very common after rhinoplasty surgery.  This swelling will often last as long as 12-18 months, but will gradually go away during this time.  Nonetheless, at about 6 months, you will get a good sense of what your nose will look like once the swelling has settled down. 

Simple application of tape (either paper or cloth tape) at night time when you’re sleeping will help speed up the resolution of any post-operative soft tissue swelling.  Occasionally, post-operative soft tissue Triancinalone injections may be used to help speed up the resolution of this swelling.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Its very suspicious that you still see the same  bump 3 weeks after a rhinoplasty. It implies that nothing was done. By this point, most of your swelling should have subsided.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS