6 Weeks After my Facelift & Chin Reduction I Have No Movement in my Top Lip. Will This Get Better?

I had a SMAS facelift, a chin reduction, brow lift, upper & lower eyes done 6 weeks ago. I have no movement in my top lip. My top lip only moves due to my cheek muscles which allows me to smile, but not the same smile I had before surgery. I have difficulty speaking properly. In your experience will I get full movement back in my top lip?

Upper Lip not moving after surgery

+2

At six weeks after a facelift it is possible that the tissues are still a bit swollen and tight to move and/or the nerves are still waking up.  Be sure to address this with your operating surgeon next time you visit.  Glad to help... @drryanstanton

+1

Dear Jeanette,

thank you for your post.  You are very early in the healing process.  The fact that this seems to be a problem on both sides of the upper lip lends itself to a good prognosis.  This will likely improve over time.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Can't smile well after facelift surgery

+1

You are certainly still within the early stages of healing and considering the amount of surgery you had done it would be expected that some movement of the lip will take time to feel normal again.

The fact that you have some movement of your lips and that the feeling is symmetric speaks against any nerve damage. However you need to stay in close follow up with your surgeon to maximize your healing.

Be well,

Dr. J

Kamran Jafri, MD