3 Weeks After Mid Facelift Swelling More on One Side?

i did face lift and lower blepharoplasty 3 weeks ago. still have swelling. but my faces left sides swelling specilally under left eye have swelling more than right side under eye. it is normal or not?

Swelling more on one side following facelift

+2

It is still very soon after your surgery, and it is not abnormal at this point to have some uneven swelling.  Residual swelling following a facelift can last up to 6 months, with the majority of the swelling dissipating after the first 3 months. If your are sleeping on the left side of your face, it may cause that side to swell more than the right.  I would try to sleep on your back or on your right side.  You may want to sleep elevated or in a recliner for a day or two to see if that helps.  There are also exercises and massages you can do to help with the swelling under your eye.  I would recommend following up with your physician, as he/she knows the details of your procedures. Thanks and best of luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Can Be Asymmetrical

+1
Swelling can take up to a year to subside. During this time, you should restrict sodium intake and sleep on your back as much as possible. Lymphatic massage can also help.

Once the majority of swelling goes away, residual swelling subsides very gradually and most patients don't notice when it's totally gone because it's so gradual. This generally takes about a year. It is not unusual for swelling to be asymmetrical, so this should not be a concern for you. However, if you are very worried, please talk to your surgeon. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Asymmetric swelling 3 weeks after a facelift

+1

This could be normal and may resolve without any asymmetry. 3 weeks is a little early to worry about that. But I would have your doctor rule out fluid collections, and you can start conservative measures to keep this from being a permanent things

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Swelling

+1

This is normal. There is one side that heals quicker than the other. It does take at least six months for the swelling to subside.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Swelling and Asymmetry after Rhinoplasty

+1

This asymmetry you describe can happen, due to varied healing.  Perhaps you are lying more on that left side when you sleep, or perhaps you needed more work on that side, or had more intraoperative bleeding. Give things time.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric swelling

+1

It is not uncommon to have a mild level of asymmetric swelling after a face/neck lift, but significant asymmetry may be a sign of hematoma.

Sam Naficy, MD

Asymmetric Healing After Mid Facelift May Be Normal- Discuss With Your Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear byambaa-

Most swelling will go away 6-12 months after a facelift.  You had surgery 3 weeks ago, which implies that your healing is still fairly young and fresh, so some asymmetry may occur this soon after your procedure.  I assume that you have been seen and discussed this with your plastic surgeon, but if you have not, please consider seeing him/ her soon.  

Best Wishes on a Speedy Recovery,

Roy Kim, MD

Roy Kim, MD

Swelling after facelift

+1

Swelling in plastic surgery is always assymetrical. Ittakes 3 to 9 months for most of the swelling to be gone. If you need reassurance speak to your surgeon. What you see now is not what you will see in 3 months.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Asymmetrical Swelling after Facelift

+1

It is normal to have asymmetrical swelling immediately after a facelift or to have the swelling resolve at different rates over 3 weeks. Continue  close contact with your surgeon who will monitor your progress.

+1

Completely normal to have uneven swelling, bruising etc. from side to side after a Face Lift or any plastic surgery treatment or surgery.  Be patient and see how every thing looks at 3 months.