5 Weeks After Breast Augmentation 1 Breast is a C Cup and the Other B Cup. Is This Normal?

5 weeks after a breast augmentation 1 breast is a B cup and the other is a C cup. The surgeon believes this is fluid and I should wait another few months, is this normal ?

Full cup size asymmetry 5 weeks after breast augmentation needs evaluation

+1

Thank you for your question. A photograph would be helpful. It is certainly common to have asymmetries 5 weeks after breast augmentation. There is still swelling at 5 weeks and at 5 weeks the implants have not reach their final position on the chest and one side can take longer than the other to adjust, soften and reach its final position.

However if you truly have a full cup size, that is 100-125 cc difference in the 2 sides and your surgeon feels this is extra fluid, and ultrasound is a simple, noninvasive way to diagnose a fluid collection.

Asymmetry

+1

At the 5 week point it's not unusual for there to still be a small amount of fluid around your implant.  Typically, I wouldn't expect there to be so much fluid so as to cause a cup-size difference in your volume- although it's certainly possible.  If it's due to fluid then it should be resolving at this point so, if it persists much longer, then I would suggest having it evaluated.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1
Asymmetry after breast is quite common in the first several weeks after breast augmentation. Despite using an identical approach on both sides, in virtually every patient, each breast tends to swell differently. Furthermore, the implants generally start off slightly high and need to drop over the first several weeks. Your surgeon is right - try to give it a few months before assessing the final result.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Uneven swelling is very common.

+1

At  5 weeks, you are still prone to swelling.  Typically, breast sizes are different between the left and the right resulting in uneven swelling.  Swelling is very common at 5 weeks and also depends on how much work was done in the breast pocket. 

Different Cup Size

+1

Things take time to settle and heal after surgery.  5 weeks is still early - it normally takes months for the implants to settle into the pocket.  When an implant settles, the size and shape will change.  Without examining you, I really don't know what is going on - it may be that one side has settled and the other hasn't (therefore resulting in different cup sizes), there could be other things going on.  Maybe posting photos would help.

Keep communicating with your surgeon and allow them to take care of you.