5 Week Post-Op Tummy Tuck: Lifting Causes Pain

I had a tummy tuck, umbilical hernia and abdominal muscle repair done 5 weeks ago. I was feeling better every day and started resuming many of my normal activities such as laundry, vacuum, groceries, etc. I then lifted our 20 pound dog while I was sitting in a chair and placed him on my lap. Since then, I have felt more pain in my stomach muscle area and the incision. I am quite worried that I may have caused damage to my muscle repair/incision, or would these be safe after 5 weeks? Thanks.

5 weeks after tummy tuck pain

+1

I am worried that you may have ruptured one or more of the sutures. Is there an accompanying bulge in that area where you feel the greatest pain? It is hard to tell without examining you so make sure you follow up with your surgeon.  More than likely you strained the muscle but 5 weeks is still considered early in my opinion to resume any kind of heavy lifting.  

Dr. V, South Shore Plastic Surgery

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

It is still early to be lifting such a heavy item. It is possible that a suture has either torn or bulled through the muscle causing the pain. I would avoid heavy lifting a follow up with your surgeon.

David L. Abramson, MD

Don't over exert yourself after tummy tuck

+1

Give yourself time to heal and give your doctor a call.

You had quite a bit of work done...Tummy tuck and hernia repairs.  Just like after any operation, you must gradually work up to your normal routine.

Once you have checked in with your surgeon, start working on strengthening you core muscles with Pilates or Yoga.

Emily Pollard, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon