Tummy Tuck - Burning Sensation at Incision Site?

I Am One Week Post-op Today and There Seems to Be More of a Burning Sensation at my Incision?

Tummy tuck incision feeling

+2

A burning sensation one weel post-op after a tummy tuck along the incision is probably normal.  If you are concerned I would check it out with your doctor.

Burning sensation at incision after tummy tuck

+2

Congratulations on getting your tummy tuck. One week after surgery there may be many different feelings. Patients report pain, burning, pins and needles, numbness or cold sensations just to name a few. It is related to the swelling and the effect of surgery on the nerves. The sensations are usually brief and simply go away with time. I would recommend that you speak with or see your doctor just to make sure nothing serious  may be happening. Otherwise these feeling are often felt after surgery.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Burning at tummy tuck incision

+2

The sensation may be normal but discuss it with your surgeon. In some case, a nerve can be irritated or injured during a procedure. If it does not improve over time, your surgeon may want to look further in the problem. Most likely, it will get better over time. You can ask your surgeon if a topical pain relieving ointment such as Capsasin could be useful for temporary relief.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Burning Sensation 1 Week after Tummy Tuck Normal

+2

It is not at all unusual to have some burning pain in the incision site at this point in your recovery.  If you do not have increased redness or warmth in the area, you should be able to wait until your regular appointment assuming it is in the next few days.

John Whitt, MD

Burning sensation after tummy tuck

+2

This sensation should be checked at your surgeon's office. It can be due to a skin nerve which might go away on it's own, but it may signal some other problem requiring treatment.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

One week post op incision burning is normal.

+1

One week after surgery your wounds may be healing or just a little irritated which is normal.  You should check with your plastic surgeon ans share your concerns. 

Burning tummy tuck scar

+1

I've seen this happen and I've seen it go away completely.  The nerves may be in the process of healing and often it will resolve in time.  It's possible that it could be more chronic in which case you should present the problem to your board certified plastic surgeon that did the operation.  On ocassion an injection of a steroid and local anesthetic can break the cycle of pain and that will resolve it permanently.  I've seen this happen in the past.  In all likelihood, your problem will spontaneously resolve.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Burning sensation after tummy tuck

+1

This is a hard question to answer without examining you in person.

It might just be  post-op pain, but it could also represent symptoms from a wound infection, seroma, neurogenic pain or other wound problem.  Please see your surgeon for a check-up.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Burning sensation after tummy tuck

+1

Make sure to touch base with your surgeon.

Infections should be promptly treated by drainage or  antibiotics.

Nerve pain may require desensitizxation therapies.

However sensations such as this are fairly common after an abdominoplasty procedure.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Burning along incision site from abdominoplasty

+1

This may be a normal sensation, but would not necessarily be normal if it just started now, after 1 week.  You may be developing a wound infection, you may have fluid under the incision that is causing the burnining, or you may have nerve sensitivity.  You should be evaluated by your surgeon to determine the cause.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon