I Am a Week Post Op from Revision Rhinoplasty to Rasp a Residual Hump. Pain in Cheekbone Normal?

Is it normal a week after having revision rhinoplasty to rasp a residual hump to have a very painful cheekbone on right side. It is swollen and super tender but no visible bruise? Should I be concerned? I initially had a lot of bruising but the colors are gone and my cheekbone is still very sore?

Pain in cheek following rhinoplasty

+1

It is not abnormal to have slight pain around the face due to rhinoplasty surgery. In general, the side effects of a rhinoplasty may be as follow:

1) Swelling
2) Mild pain
3) Numbness
4) Blood tinged discharge for 48-72 hours following the procedure
5) Congestion

A sore cheekbone is not a specific side effect of rhinoplasty surgery. I would recommend speaking with your physician who performed the surgery, as he/she knows the details of your surgery and exactly what was performed. Thanks and good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

This should improve with time. If it does not gradually improve over the next few weeks, I would return to your Facial Plastic Surgeon to inquire about it. You could have a fluid collection or hematoma in this area but it would be somewhat unusual to not have residual bruising if that were the case. Chances are very good that this discomfort will gradually resolve. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain in cheek after rhinoplasty

+1

The short answer to your question is that you can have some residual pain in cheek area even up to two or three weeks after a rhinoplasty. If it does not start dissipating in the next week or so I would discuss this with your treating physician or if a hard area is present I would bring it to your surgeon's attention.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon