I Am 1 Week Post Op from Having a Full Tummy Tuck Along with BA. I Look Unusually Swollen Compared to Other Posts?

I am 5'4" 125 lbs 48yr old. I am one week post op to having a full tummy tuck including muscle along with BA implants 350cc silicone. I really like my PS, but my recovery isn't the same as most are describing. I had no drains and I am very swollen like I am pregnant. I was told to not touch my breasts or do any exercises and my waist wrap and support bra were removed on day 5. On my own I am wearing my workout pants to provide some support to my tummy. Should I be concerned?

Pregnant appearance after TT ?

+2
Swelling after tummy tuck is certainly normal, but  you have to ask your PS what is normal or not.  You need to evaluated in person.  Seromas (fluid collections between the skin flap and the abdominal wall) are not infrequent.  They are probably more frequent in patients when drains are not utilized. Seromas are easily treatable and something I, as a surgeon, would want to know about in my own patients. Compression is helpful, but not manditory in all situations.  Sometimes fluid is within the tissues and will dissipate with time, or perhaps a diuretic (water pill)will be helpful in some situations.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an eval, it may be readily fixable. 

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Question about abnormal swelling after an abdominoplasty

+1

Swelling is obviously normal after an abdominoplasty.  This can be either soft tissue swelling or a collection of fluid under the skin.   It really requires an examination to understand the issue at hand.  This type of lower abdominal swelling can take up to 3 months to resolve.  If it is a seroma then you will require needle aspiration.

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Without an exam it is hard to answer the question. Swelling after surgery is normal and may be due to several things. Keep your post op appointments with your doctor for follow up exams. good Luck  Thomas Narsete M.D.  Austin, Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Without photos its hard to comment. The best person to answer your question is your surgeon. If you truly look pregnant, there is a high possibility that you have a seroma/fluid collection that will need to be drained. A seroma is not a rare complication and is usually easily treatable.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after mommy makeover.

+1

you should ask these questions of your surgeon, who knows the details of your surgery, can examine you, and is responsible for your care.  At one week your swelling may normal, but that is a determination your surgeon will make. 

Harlan Pollock, MD

. I Look Unusually Swollen

+1

Without photos I find it not possible to comment on the primary issue. Only a visit to your surgeon will get the right answer here. Swelling is universal

Each surgeon has his/her own post-op instructions. I have my patients wear compression for 4 weeks, but frankly the main reason is to hold dressings intact without having to tape them in the early period after surgery. 

I think asking your surgeon about the need for massage of the implants and about compression is your best approach. Consider posting a photo.

Thanks, all the best. 

Postoperative Care after Mommy Makeover

+1

Management of patients after mommy makeover does have variability.  Although most plastic surgeons place drains for the tummy tuck, nothing is wrong with not placing drains.  You should see your plastic surgeon if you are concerned about an abnormal amount of swelling.  You need to rule out fluid collection.   In addition, the plastic surgeon may or may not recommend a compression garment.  I use them for 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD  Los Angeles, CA

Difficult to Evaluate Swelling Without Photos

+1

This question is difficult to answer without photos.  Swelling is normal after combined procedures and recovery varies by procedure and patient. Comparisons are not accurate.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon