3 Week Post Op from Lower Body Lift/thigh Lift/ and Butt Lift. Not Happy w/ Butt.

Lost 150 pounds from lapband. My main concern was my bottom and thigh area & stressed to the dr. to make my bottom perky and thighs very tight. My results have turned out to be a very LONG flat butt that has that "Mommy Butt" look to it & I don't have any children. I also have a very deep indention at the top of my butt crease that the Dr. said will go away, but I don't see how that is possible. Am I supposed to be in a compression garment for butt area and he told me to sleep on my back, HELP!

Results

+3

Wow a 150lbs!  Congratulations thats fantastic. Your question is understandable so lets consider the anatomy. When a patient is morbidly obese, the fat cells expand in size AND increase in number. The skin has to accomodate this increase in volume and it does this by stretching and increasing in skin cell numbers. Now remember, if you take a given area of skin, that area has a certain elasticity and it also has a physical property called stress relaxation. This means that if you pull it tight, it will slowly relax at that same stretch.  Think of a balloon that you blow up. Initially it is tight but by the next morning it is looser.

So in the large patient who has lost weight, even though you are cutting out redundant skin, the remaining skin has less elasticity and MORE cells than someone who was never that size.  These cant shrink and snap back as you would like.

What you may require or desire is additional filling volume to get the curves you desire. I usually have my patients wait 6-8 months after a buttocks lift before considering this. I hope this was helpful and wish you the best of luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Expectation mismatch in cosmetic surgery

+3

Unfortunately, after a 150 lb weight loss, no surgeon can make you "tight" or "perky" because your skin elasticity will never return to normal and allow that.  You should hopefully have understood that before so you wouldn't be unhappy now.  Work closely with your doctor and be patient with the healing, but tight and perky were never a real possibility.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Buttock lift

+2

After massive weight loss, the tissues deflate.  Once the buttock;s are lifted, you may be a candidate for autologous fat injection to inflate them a bit.

Expectations after a body lift

+2

First I would like to commend you on your impressive weight loss. After losing 150 pounds your skin, having been stretched out, may not have the elasticity to give a really tight result.  Also, a careful surgeon will try to avoid over-tightening at all costs.  The last thing you want is for your wounds to open when you sit down or begin to exert yourself. 

One of the things I do with my body lifts in appropriate patients is to use some of the redundant lower back skin to auto-augment the buttocks, because the body lift can tend to flatten this area.

You are only 3 weeks postop, and your scars will change over time.  Sometimes scar revisions are necessary after complex operations like body and thigh lifts.  For now, I recommend continuing to discuss your concerns with your surgeon as he or she follows your progress. 

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

+1
Your concerns may have a great deal to do with your skin quality in general.  Contours can be changed later with fat grafting as well.  Congratulations on the 150 pound weight loss!

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS