A Week Ago I Had my Eyes Done, Upper and Lower. Today I Had my Stitches Removed? (photo)

My main concern is that my eyes have become dry and irritated. Is it normal and what can I do to feel better?

Dry eyes after Blepharoplasty

+1

Temporary dryness of the eyes after blepharoplasty can be fairly common. As swelling resolves and the lids heal usually resolves. In the mean time, it will help to use artificial tears. Closing your eyes tightly and streching of the lower lids can also help. Follow up with your surgeon to get through it.

Dry Eyes

+1

Dry eyes can occur after eyelid surgery. Consider using eye ointment at night and drops during the day. The swelling can affect lid closure and tearing. This is usually a temporary finding but you should discuss further with your surgeon. All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

+1

The thing is why not return or call your surgeon to discuss this issue. Over internet we have not had the opportunity to examine you. BEst to follow up with your chosen surgeon! Most of my patients are given detailed instructions to post operative care and questions in writing. I recommend liquid tearsBUT you need your surgeon's advise. 

Eyes dry after blepharoplasty

+1

It is fairly common for patients to feel that their eyes are dry. Usually artificial tears can help, but best to ask your surgeon.

Dry eyes following a blepharoplasty

+1

Dry eyes after a blepharoplasty is a concern and should be treated immediately to help you avoid corneal abrasions.   Dry eyes and the avoidance of problems related to alteration in tearing has come to the forefront in blepharoplasty surgery. If a patient has dry eyes prior to surgery or uses eye drops on a daily basis they are definitely at risk for an exacerbation of the problem after eyelid surgery.  When I see a patient who has a history of dry eyes I usually consult an ophthalmologist.  Tearing studies can be done to determine normal vs. abnormal tear formation.  If you develop dry eyes after surgery you should consult with your surgeon as soon as possible about the proper use of eye ointments and drops.  

Dry and irritated after lid surgery

+1

Right after when the lids are still swollen, irritation and the feeling of dryness is very common. Surgeons will frequently provide or recommend ointment for night use, daytime drops, and ice soaks until things resolve. Give your surgeon a call and review his routine for after care.

It mostly takes time.

+1

Artificial tears every hour and bland ophthalmic ointment at night is very helpful to make the eye more comfortable.  The eyelids are swollen and the do not operate well as wipers of the tears.  As time passes, this will improve and so will your eye comfort.

Eye irritation after Blepharoplasty

+1

Yes it is very common for your eyes to feel dry and irritated after surgery.  I usually recommend natural tears four times a day, and opthalmic ointment at night.  It may take up to six weeks for eyes to feel normal.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Dry eyes after eyelid surgery

+1

I would recommend using over-the-counter lubricant eye drops called artificial tears. There are many different brands, all of which have slightly different formulations. The gel drops make your eyes a little blurry, but tend to last longer. Genteal gel is a brand that I often recommend to patients. Keep the bottle in the refrigerator - it will feel even more soothing to the eyes when it is cold and make sure to use the drops at least 4-6x/day. Some patients also feel that closing the eyes for periods of time with an ice pack over the eyelids seems to help. The dryness should get much better over the next several weeks.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry and irritated eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

It is not unusual to have some temporary dryness and irritation to the eyes after blepharoplasty.  There are some eye drops or ointment that can help.  I would contact your surgeon, as he or she may have a preference for a specific treatment.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon