I'm One Week and Two Days Post Op from Having a Deviated Septum to the Right and Turbinate Surgery.I Still Snore. What's Wrong?

Slept well without snoring after the packing was removed.When sleeping I bumped my nose with my hand started snoring all over again. Please respond .I'mvery worried.

Post Septoplasty Recovery

+2

Dear s settle, Do not be worried it is common in the first few weeks after septoplasty to still have some congestion and snoring. You still have post surgical swelling of the tissues and as this dissipates your breathing functions should improve. See your surgeon for a follow up appointment. I would not be worried at this point. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Swelling inside the nose after surgery can cause you to snore for a few weeks after septoplasty

+2

I tell my patients that some congestion and snoring after septoplasty and turbinate reduction can be expected for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery.  By 3 weeks or so, you should be beginning to feel the final results of you septoplasty and turbinate reduction.  All of your incisions are inside your nose, and though you can't see any swelling or bruising on the outside of your face, you had a real surgery inside the nose, and it is normal to have post-operative swelling inside the nose as part of the healing process.  The fact that you breathed and slept well after packing removal is a good sign for your final result.  The packing was putting pressure on the septum and side walls of the nose, keeping swelling down.  after the packing removal, the skin inside the nose was allowed to swell up, and that's why you were initially clear, but are now congested.  It sounds like what you are experiencing is normal, but if you are concerned, I would advise giving your surgeon a call. Good luck!

Dara Liotta, MD