Weed and Rhinoplasty?

Dear doctor: My friend has used weed for almost 5 years and now he's going to have a nose job...is it really safe? I'm worried plz tell me what u think

Marijuana

+2

Smoking cigarettes is known to put patients at higher poor healing after surgery.  There is less information on marijuana smoke and the frequency and amount smoked makes a difference.  You should discuss this with your surgeon

Marijuana and rhinoplasty

+1

Using marijuana and having a rhinoplasty is not a good idea. This can cause increased risks of complications.

Weed and Rhinoplasty?

+1

I agree with Dr. Naficy. It is hard to define the risk of regular marijuana smoking. However, there is a risk to smoking anything before or immediately after surgery. From a healing standpoint, smoking will delay healing after rhinoplasty. Further, smoking interferes with lung function which can raise the risk of anesthesia-related complications. It would be safest for your friend to abstain for a couple of week before and after surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon