Should I Still Be Wearing Sunscreen 3 Months After Rhinoplasty?

The only time I go outside is to walk a few blocks from my car to my office. Should I be wearing sunscreen for brief periods like this of being outside if it's been 3 months since rhinoplasty? I rub in the sunscreen (spf100) pretty well but it still makes my nose look shiny and creamy which I don't like.

Sunscreen

+1

In general, I prefere patients to use sunscreen for life to protect there skin from the harmful rays.

Sunscreen after surgery

+1

Scar tissue and skin that has ben traumatized remains sensitive to the sun for up to a year.  Beyond this, sun exposure is cumulatively damaging to all skin, so some sun protection is probably good all the time.

Sunscreen is important to use and is independent of having had a rhinoplasty

+1

As you have already read from the other respondents, wearing sunscreen on a daily basis is extremely important and is also independent of having had a rhinoplasty. Sunscreens will help protect your skin from the damaging ultraviolet rays of the sun that are associated with premature aging of the skin, wrinkles, pigmentation irregularities and skin cancers.

Find one that has full spectrum coverage and that is invisible when applied.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Sunscreen after facial surgery

+1

Hi,

Sunscreen, regardless of facial surgery, should always be worn even if you  'spend very little time outdoors'. If you don't like the way it looks, then you might try facial moisturizers that contain SPF protection as well as make up manufacturers include SPF protection in their formulas too. Make this a part of your daily routine. Best wishes, Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Should I still use sunscreen 3 months after my Rhinoplasty?

+1

It's always a good idea to use sunscreen in order to protect the skin from harmful UV rays...you might want to try something with 30 SPF as that blocks ~ 95% of the UV rays while a 100 SPF might only offer an additional 2% protection.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Should I still wear sunscreen?

+1

Yes !  Try out different brands to find one that you like and will wear all over your face every day.    This helps protect you from skin cancer development and signs of aging skin.

Daily sunscreen today will save you alot of trouble (and $$$) down the road

+1

Daily sunscreen today will save you alot of trouble (and $$$) down the road. From teh standpoin of your nasal surgery, you've likely healed sufficiently that the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is quite low. However, daily sunscreen is not only a great idea to prevent skin cancer but it will also minimize the daily sun damage that leads to skin aging (photoaging). This daily maintenance will help prevent both skin cancer and minimize wrinkles leaving you with healthier, younger appearing skin. Seek a sunscreen that covers both UVA and UVB spectrums and remember that SPF tells you nothing about the level of UVA protection. A good esthetician or skin care specialist can help you find a sunscreen that will protect your skin and look good without the oily residue that you've described.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sunscreen and Post-operative scars

+1

One of the most important thing you can do to protect your skin and scars is wear sunscreen. The sun causes damage to the skin leaving you will less elastic, wrinkled and pigmented skin. If you add up all the time spent walking back and forth it will be hours - and you would wear sunscreen if you were in the sun for hours now wouldn't you? You should find a sunscreen that doesn't cause problems with your skin - try a well made product such as Obagi or Skin Medica and make sure it's broad spectrum and at least spf 30 or greater.

Vincent Marin, MD

Sunscreen

+1

You should always protect yor facial skin from the sun. What do you think is one the biggest causes of aging wrinkles? Find a good aesthetician and get moisturizing sun screens. You do not need to pay for sp 100

Web reference: http://www.drbray.com

Sunscreen after rhinoplasty

+1
I always think it's a good idea to wear at least a little sunscreen. On the other hand after three months your skin has pretty much recovered and not as sun sensitive as was early on. I don't think it's crucial that you wear the sunscreen with the limited amount of exposure you are getting. Depending on where you live though, don't forget that you get a good amount of un exposure just driving through your windows.