I'm Wearing a Retainer, and My Teeth Never Settle into Place. How Long Do I Need to Wear it Daily?

It seems no matter how many hours a day I wear my retainer my teeth continue to be sore. My teeth feel fine for the most part when I am wearing my retainer, but everyday when I take out my retainer to eat and brush my teeth my teeth immediately feel sore and I feel like the process of getting my teeth to settle starts all over again. What can I do? Please help me. What would be the optimal amount of hours a day to wear a retainer in my situation? My retainer fits perfectly.

How many hours do I need to wear my orthodontic retainer?

+1

While there are many different retainer regimens offered by various doctors, it has been shown clinically that wearing your retainer 10 hours a day is just as effective as wearing it full time. My blog article "How many hours do I need to wear my orthodontic retainer?" has a more in depth discussion of this sometimes controversial topic. You can find the article at gregjorgensen.com/blog/2011/03/how-many-hours-do-i-need-to-wear-my-orthodontic-retainer/. My recommendation to my patients is full time wear for the first 48 hours following braces removal and then night time wear thereafter (10 hours per night). Good luck!

Albuquerque Orthodontist