If I Have Been Wearing my Compression Garment in the Wrong Place, How Will That Affect My Healing, Scar, Etc?

I had a TT with lipo of the flanks 5 days ago. As we left, the nurse told my husbadn where to position it and she said from my bra line down. We called on again twice and were told a different way position it What happened is that the binder was about 2 inches avoce my scar, so it was forcing all that down the pubic area, giving a pooch I was trying to get ride of.

The compression garment is not likely to affect your result

+1

Do worry too much.  Your tummy tuck result is much more dependent on your surgeon than on the way you wore the garment after surgery.  In general, compression spread accross the entire abdomen is preferable.  There is no proof that compression is even needed and some surgeons do not bother with the garments.

Follow the instructions and ask questions if needed.  Good luck.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal binders should cover your whole belly after a Tummy Tuck

+1

Cover your whole belly with the binder, from your breast folds to below the incision.

In general the binder is used after a tummy tuck to apply pressure and close off the open space that was created during surgery where fluid may accumulate.  It should be over the entire anterior abdominal area where the surgery was performed to help prevent/reduce seroma formation.

Usually seromas form in the lower abdominal area where the incision line is because that is where the widest area of dissection for surgery was performed and where gravity will trap most fluid that will form further up in the abdomen.  Because of this, the upper abdomen has a lower chance of forming a seroma than the lower area.  Therefore, it is vital that the lower area is covered by the binder, but still important that the upper area is also covered.

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon