How Long After Rhinoplasty Can I Began Wearing Glasses?

Hi, i have read that eye glasses and sunglasses are not recommended to be worn after rhinoplasty for at least 4-6 weeks. Just wanted to find out if it is ok to wear protective glasses for a short period of time a few weeks after a rhinoplasty for things like visiting dentist or laser hair removal where protective eyewear is needed. Thanks

How long to wear glasses after rhinoplasty

+3

I would check with your surgeon to be sure, as it depends on what was performed, ie grafts. Normally within 10 days you are normally okay. if the glasses are heavy, take them off periodically to avoid excess pressure over the swelling. Just use common sense and be careful.

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Glasses after rhinoplasty

+2

I tell patients that fo rthe first 3-4 weeks that they should tape the glasses to the forehead and not rest them on the nose.  After that it should be ok.

Wearing Glasses after Rhinoplasty

+2

In general, I tell my patients they can wear glasses 2-3 weeks after their rhinoplasty, but they must be careful to avoid any type of nasal trauma. However, in this forum I always tell patients to follow their surgeon's instructions immediately afteer surgery.

Glasses after rhinoplasty

+2
After 2 weeks you'll be fine. Agree with the comment here about goggles. Not for 4-6 weeks. Your glasses might not fit well initially.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Glasses after Rhinoplasty

+2

Generally, I have no concerns with my patients wearing all but the heaviest glasses 2 weeks afer rhinoplasty.

Goggles with tight elastic straps are another matter - I would recommend 6-8 weeks.d

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glasses after Rhinoplasty

+2

You're in the clear!  Usually a window of at least 2 weeks is recommended.  Wearing your glasses after 3-4 weeks is very reasonable for short periods of time.  The only down side is that after wearing them for awhile you will notice depressions on the skin of the nose where the pads of the glasses were resting.  This won't affect your healing it really is just an indication that the swelling in the skin has not completely resolved yet.  The only time where wearing glasses would be a problem is if you actually got struck in the face while wearing them...or suffered a fall or injury.  But normal activity and daily usage is perfectly okay.  Just be aware of what I stated above.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

When can I wear glasses after rhinoplasty?

+1
During the recovery period the bridge of the nose is more sensitive to the weight of glasses and can effect healing of the nasal bridge. To ensure optimal healing, Dr. De Silva advises waiting 6-weeks before wearing glasses on the bridge of the nose. For the first week there is a cast that protects the bridge of your nose and wearing glasses will not effect healing. From 1 to 6 weeks, Dr. De Silva is able to give you a support if you need to wear glasses. During this time it is fine to use contact lenses.

Julian De Silva, MD
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I tell all my Rhinoplasty patients to avoid wearling glasses for 6 months as glasses create pinpoint reduction of swelling and deform the nose.