Will a Motorcycle Helmet Affect Botox Results?

I had botox about 2-3 weeks ago for forehead lines/glabella area and am curious if wearing a full face motorcycle helmet that is fairly tight across the head will affect botox placement? I obviously wound not wear the helmet the first week after receiving the injections, but am curious for future rides if I should be concerned? Thank you so much.

Motorcycle Helmet OK One Week After Botox

+2

After the first several days, the wearing of a helmet should have no adverse effect on your Botox results.  Waiting one week should be fine.  Good for you for wearing a helmet and face shield!  Neither is mandatory here in NH, and I cringe every time I see a motorcyclist go by with no protection.

Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Motorcycle helmet and Botox

+2

I have had one patient ( 55 year old woman) who went for a 2 hour ride on the day of her Botox injection. Her helmet was very snug. She ended up with ptosis on one side that took 6 weeks to resolve.  She had never had this problem before and has never had it since we told her not to put her helmet on for a couple of days after the Botox placement. I am not sure if there is an exact amount of time that needs to elapse but certainly check with your doctor.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Motorcycle helmet will not affect botox results

+1

If you refrain from wearing the helmet in the first day after the Botox treatment, there shouldn't be any effect on the Botox effectiveness or duration.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox, Wrinkle Treatment, Beverly Hills Botox, Los Angeles Botox, Nasal Surgery, Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty

+1

No, you should be able to wear the helmet without causing the Bottox to migrate.  The Botox solution, that was injected at the time of the Botox treatment, was absorbed into the tissues long ago.

Motorcycle Helmet after Botox Injection

+1

Wait 48 hours after Botox injections in the forehead before wearing the helmet. I'm jealous - a motorcycle in Utah. Enjoy!

Motorcycle helmet and Botox

+1

If you had botox a few weeks a go, a motorcycle helmet should not have any effect on your result at this point.

Avoid pressure or rubbing in the treated area for an hour after BOTOX®

+1

As a practical matter, the first hour after treatment with BOTOX® [or other formulations of BTX-A] is the most important.

I avoid pressure or rubbing in the treated areas for one hour after I get treated with BOTOX®, because I want to avoid moving the BOTOX® out of the treated area or moving the BOTOX® into some place where I do not want it [for example, the muscle which lifts my upper eyelid]. The is also the advice I give my patients.

In addition, for the first hour after treatment with BOTOX® I try to exercise the treated muscles as hard as possible, because the nerve endings on the muscles absorb BOTOX® more efficiently if they are working hard. This happens because every time the nerve ending on a skeletal muscle fires it exposes its SV2 receptors for a moment, and it is these SV2 receptors which BOTOX® binds to for uptake into the nerve ending.

After one hour, no worries.

In the future, please don't go for a week without wearing your motorcycle helmet! I'd hate to hear that you got a head injury.

Kevin Smith MD FRCPC Niagara Falls Ontario

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

Motorcycle helmet and Botox results

+1

I would avoid wearing the helmet for at least 2 days (1 week would provide an extra margin of safety) following your Botox injections.  Pressure at the injection site can cause undesirable migration of the Botox to the muscles that elevate the eyelids, causing brow ptosis.  It is also advised that you avoid massaging the area(s) treated with Botox.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

After a few hours, the helmet will have no bearing on treatment.

+1

Dear Plumpassat

No question, the safest thing for you is to park your motorcycle in your bedroom and find a new method of transportation.  Seriously, some doctors do place fairly sizable volumes of BOTOX solution in the brow as a way of providing the treatment.  For at least a few hours, it is possible to place pressure on the injection site and move the BOTOX into unintended treatment sites.  Once you are outside of the several hour window, the risk of this is gone.  To be safe, wait about a day before wearing the helmet.  There is unlikely to be an issue after this.