Can Wearing Eye Glasses for Long Periods of Time Cause Bumps or Dents on the Nose?

I have been wearing my specs since I was 9 years old (I am now 21) I was wondering if this is a contribution to the little bump on my nose..

Rhinoplasty to treat bump on nose

+2

While it is possible that your skin may become thinner over the bridge of your nose in the area where your eyeglasses sit, if you can feel that the bump is bony and not soft tissue, it has likely been there since birth. If it bothers you, I would suggest you see a rhinoplasty surgeon to determine whether surgery would be the best option. Sometimes, injecting fillers above or below a nasal bump can be a simple non-surgical solution but a surgeon would really need to examine the area directly.

Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyeglasses do not cause bumps on the nose, just temporary dents

+1
 Wearing eyeglasses for a prolonged time can only create small indentations are temporary on the sidewalls of the nose where  your glasses ride. Eyeglasses do not cause a dorsal hump. The dorsal hump is composed of the bone and cartilage  needs to be shaved down if  you end up deciding to perform a rhinoplasty procedure. In addition to the shaving of the hump ,osteotomies would most likely be required to prevent an open roof deformity.

Nose bumps/dents from eyeglasses

+1
Eyeglasses can put pressure on areas of the nose leading to dents which will disappear once the glasses are off for awhile. Glasses should not cause bumps on the nose, however they may draw attention to a bump that was previously not noticed. Most surgeons have rhinoplasty patients not wear glasses for a few weeks after surgery so as not to change the position of grafts or bony shaping.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Bump

+1

Dear Perth-ness,

They usually do not leave permanent marks or bumps on your nose...alas, I think that the bump is there from the way you grew, or likely from some distant trauma.  After rhinoplasty, glasses can leave little dents as the swelling comes down, but these are not permanent either.

Where is the bump located?

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD