Should I be wearing compression stockings or support hose and for how long?

I just had the sclerotherapy done at my dermatologist office two hour ago. They wrapped my legs with tight gauze and said to remove after 8 hours. No mention of support stocking or compression stockings at all. I had 2 full injections and a part of a 3rd. I have to say for me it was terribly painful. My questions are: Is this procedure typically this painful. Should I be wearing compression stockings or support hose and for how long? Thank you for your help and input!!

Stockings after Sclerotherapy - How Long ?

+1
The recommendation for stockings use after sclerotherapy is variable as hundreds of studies have been done to determine the best interval - 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 3 months or more. Dr Mitchel P Goldman who has written the 'bible' of sclerotherapy recommends 2 weeks. I recommend my patients to wear them for 3 months as I practice in a cold part of the country and try to recommend that patients get sclerotherapy between September and May, way before they go out in the sun. I recommend that they also avoid sunlight. 

Believe it or not, some doctors tell their patients not to take stockings off for 2 weeks and shower in them ! 

Use my E-books as a reference and talk to the treating physician, who hopefully is certified from the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine, previously called Phlebology. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy is usually not painful.

+1
Sclerotherapy does involve multiple tiny needle injections and is usually very well tolerated but everyone has different pain tolerances.  I find younger women who have not had children to be the most needle phobic. I recommend wearing compression hose for 48 hours following sclerotherapy so that the solution will stick to the treated veins to dissolve them. There is controversy, however,concerning wearing support hose post sclerotherapy from not wearing any to wearing them for 6 weeks.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Compression Stockings After Sclerotherapy

+1
Sclerotherapy typically causes very little discomfort.  I am unsure why you had such an unpleasant exerience with the treatment.  I do multiple sclerotherapy sessions daily and my patients typically report very mild discomfort ( rate 1 on a scale of 1-10 on patient surveys).  My patients consistently say to me that the discomfort was much less than they expected.

In terms of compression stockings after sclerotherapy, we strongly recommend them for one week following treatment.  We always fit our patients for the appropriate size compression stockings immediate prior to their treatment and apply the stockings immediately following the treatment (we do not use tight gauze wraps as you described).  We carry a full inventory of the compression stockings in our office for patient convenience and our patients tend to find them relatively comfortable.

The reason that we recommend compression stockings for one week following treatment is that the results of medical studies on sclerotherapy (and in my clinical practice as well) we have found better cosmetic results (more of the veins fade away) when the patient wear compression stockings after their treatments.  It can also act to decrease the incidence of bruising, bleeding, and skin discoloration. 

I hope the information was useful.

Sincerely

Joel Gotvald, MD, FACS, RPVI
Board Certified Vein Specialist

Joel Gotvald, MD, FACS
Austin General Surgeon