Can Wearing Compression Garments Incorrectly Lead to Bad Results? (photo)

I'm 10 days post-op from neck lipo and arm lift. I'm pleased and grateful for the procedure, but also hopeful it will improve even further. I've been wearing compression on my neck 24/7. My surgeon switched me from the original compression garment to a simple ace bandage. When I take off the ace, I can see lumpy lines where the compression isn't exactly "even". Is this a sign that I am wearing it incorrectly? Might I compress my neck into a permanently deformed state if I wear it wrong?

Improper compression after neck liposuction

+3

Yes, it is possible to have an adverse effect after liposuction of the neck with improper application of the compression garment.  If the skin is folded on itself when the garment is applied, one can end up with a transverse roll that may take weeks or a few months to completely resolve.  So the most important thing to remember when on applies the compression garment is to make sure the neck skin is completely flat.

Visible lumps as well as lumps that can be felt under the skin may take as long  and as a month or more to resolve.  When the skin has returned to it pre surgical softness then what you see is the final result.

Hope this helps.

Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after neck liposuction

+3

You are likely seeing these "lumpy lines" because there is residual swelling that is getting squeezed into this formation.  This is typically a temporary thing that resolves without consequence over time as the swelling resides completely.  Make sure to keep your follow-up appointments with your operating surgeon to assure this resolves as such.  Glad to help... @drryanstanton

Ryan Stanton, MD

Chin Liposuction and Compression Garment

+2

In general, there will be residual swelling after chin liposuction for several weeks.  I recommend the prefabricated garment.  However, if the bandage is preventing a fluid collection and providing good support, this is not unreasonable.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+2

There are various types of compression garments for use after liposuction of the neck.  You most likely still have some swelling present at 10 days after your procedure, so the area may not look completely even at this point.  It would be difficult to wear the compression garment incorrectly, and even if you did, I doubt it would have a significant influence on your final result.  You will not compress your neck into a permanently deformed state.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment and neck liposuction

+2

A compression garment designed for chin lipo is probably better than an ace bandage for the reasons you mentioned. Howver I think long term it probably will not impact your result. Best to ask you surgeon.

Compression garments will help with healing

+1

Thank you for posting a picture. Wearing your compression garment is very important in the healing process; this will help to control any swelling that may occur post-procedure. In no way should the garment lead to bad results if anything you will notice an improvement from wearing. Follow up with your surgeon to find if you are healing properly.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Massage and compression after chin liposuction.

+1

These lines may be from the compression or from skin incorrectly pulling posteriorly.  After my chin and neck liposuctions, I ask my patients to massage and apply compression intermittently to improve results. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Uneven Compression

+1

Compression garments can cause some wrinkling of the skin if it is not smooth.  This can alter your result.  I would point out your skin to your PS and maybe the ACE can be abandoned for a better compression that is different from your first garment.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS