Wearing Bra After Breast Augmentation by Fat Transfer?

Hi, I had breast enlargement with fat transfer. I am 6 weeks post op. I feel good. I think I've been healing pretty well (when I read other ppl posts). I am excited getting some new bras, some nice push ups,etc. - to enjoy my new "purchase". My dr says I shouldn't wear a tight bra yet. Why and when can I start wearing regular bras?? How harmful can it be?

Tight Bra after Breast Augmentation

+1

You do not want to damage the fat, and I would agree with others that swelling is usually present at 6 weeks.

+1

As I trust most will advise, your surgeons instructions are most appropriate. The rationale for a loose fitting brassiere is so an not to interfere with the "take" of the fat grafts. Too much compression may decrease the blood flow to the breast and may compromise your outcome. There are probably no studies to precisely define the timing at which there is no potential for harm. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Bra after fat enhancement

+1

I think the best person to ask when you can wear a tight bra would be your surgeon who performed the fat transfer.

Bra after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Although I think online forums can be a good source of general information, I also think that it is best for patients to follow their own plastic surgeon's recommendations. Otherwise, the advice you receive online is nonspecific and  potentially confusing etc.
Remember, that you chose your plastic surgeon for a reason and that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer

+1

Dear Boston84,

There is no official or agreed upon set time at which it will be ok to wear regular bras.  That decision is up to your surgeon.  Having said that, I think that by 3 months most surgeons would allow this.  The reason your surgeon doesn't want you to wear tight bras is most likely to prevent killing the transferred fat cells.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

When to buy bras after fat transfer.

+1

Hi and thank you for your question.

At 6 weeks post fat transfer, you will still have swelling, so buying bras will not be a good idea as they may not fit well later.  The reason your surgeon doesn't want you to wear anything too tight soon after surgery is that the fat is fragile until it matures with a new blood supply.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon