Can I Wear Veneers or Am I Forced to Wear a Crown if I Had a Root Canal on a Tooth?

I have a root canal on my molar & front tooth. I was told veneers would be better choice then crowns if i am to replace the rest of my teeth someday (Some of my teeth are crooked, i got a hole in my mouth & my teeth are yellow due to my acid reflux problem). But my dentist (Which i no longer see because he's messed up my teeth numerous times) told me i need crowns on my root canal teeth. What should i do? I wanna fix up my whole mouth in the future so i need to plan wisely.

Veneers or crowns for endodontically treated teeth

+2

Jessica, you mentioned that you have an acid reflux problem and your teeth are yellow. I would NOT recommend veneers for a tooth that has had a root canal done on it. You need a strong tooth after this and EMax crowns are beautiful and translucent like veneers. They are more durable. As to veneers on your other teeth, you may not get the color you are looking for if your teeth have stains and are yellow. I would look at both options, but I would choose something that is more durable as well as beautiful. Good luck!

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Typically, the best treatment over a root canal is a porcelain crown.  This will protect the tooth from future fracturing and preserve the integrity of the tooth structure.  As for the rest of your teeth and cosmetically enhancing them, you would have to see a cosmetic dentist to evaluate all the teeth together and have them tell you what is going to give you the best aesthetic result.  Your situation with the crooked teeth and the yellowing from acid reflux sounds like crowns would be a better option to protect the teeth from future wearing and erosion from the acid.  Good quality porcelain crowns fabricated in a top quality lab will give you a beautiful result and provide a solid foundation as well.  Make sure you see a dentist that not only treats the cosmetic aspect of your smile, but also studies your occlusion (bite) to make sure they are correcting your crooked teeth, and keeping your bite functioning properly at the same time.  Be sure to see a few cosmetic dentists that have had post graduate training and take continuing education on cosmetic dentistry.  Also, be sure to ask to see many before-and-after photos of similar cases so you can see their actual patients results.  Best wishes!

Fort Lauderdale Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer for the front, crown for the back tooth

+1

A porcelain veneer should be suffice for your front tooth, but I would place a crown on the molar. The reason for this is that molars take considerably more chewing forces than front teeth so they should be covered completely with a crown. Failure to do this could lead to a fracture in the tooth.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers vs. Crowns on endodontically treated teeth.

+1

The determination for a crown verses a veneer for a tooth that has has endodontic (RCT) treatment is determined by the quantity and quality of remaining tooth structure. Many teeth that have root canal treatment require a full coverage type restoration or crown for the strongest support. Porcelain laminate veneers are generally used for teeth that have a majority of healthy tooth structure and less preparation of the tooth is necessary. Both veneers and crowns can be fabricated by the same ceramic material. One of my favorites for both aesthetics and strength is EMAX porcelain/ceramic that has great physical properties for restoring teeth.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneer Or Crown For Root Canal Tooth?

+1

A porcelain veneer should be suffice for your front tooth, but I would place a crown on the molar.  The reason for this is that molars take considerably more chewing forces than front teeth so they should be covered completely with a crown. Failure to do this could lead to a fracture in the tooth. Have your dentist look for any erosion on the inside of the front tooth which sometimes results from acid reflux.  If you shows sign of this a crown may be a better option for the front tooth than a porcelain veneer.   

Houston Cosmetic Dentist