What Should I Wear to the Doctors to Get my Drains Removed?

I cant stand up very long without my back killing me. I had a tummy tuck breast aug and lipo. I feel like crap. Is this normal 8 days post op?

What to wear for drain removal

+1

The best thing to wear is something that is comfortable and provides easy access to the drain site.  A loose robe that zips in the front would be ideal. It’s quite normal to feel under the weather at eight days after surgery.  The good news is that you should be feeling a little better each day.

What to Wear for Drain Removal?

+1

I would ar loose and comfortable clothes. Removing the drain does not hurt - people describe it as "weird" and as "spaghetti coming out". As far as our recovery, everyone heals at their own rate. I've had women driving themselves to the office at your stage while a few do still feel discomfort and are restricted in their activity. Check with your surgeon to make sure your condition is not related to a complication. 

Feels like crap

+1

I think you are just about where you should be.  Everyone responds differently to surgery and to the pain after surgery.

I think you should not feel you have to wear anything special to the office visit to have your drain removed.  Something loose fitting that gives easy access is always best.

Thank you for your question and hang in there.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Drain removal after tummy tuck

+1

Unfortunately what you are going through is the normal recovery process. It will get better with time. When you go to have your srains removed, wear loose clothing and nothing fancy because you might get a few drops of fluid on you clothes. Good luck, I'm sure you will look great when you are done.

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Clothing for Drain Removal After Tummy Tuck?

+1

Unfortunately, “feeling like crap”  both physically and emotionally is not unusual at your stage and recovery. this does get better on a weekly basis,  although you should be prepared for significant  “ups and downs”.

I would suggest that you wear comfortable  and inexpensive clothing ( for example sweatpants)  for your office visit.

Hang in there;  hopefully you will be very pleased with the results of the surgery making this recovery time " worth it”.

Comfortable clothes for drain removal

+1

You should wear whatever is comfortable and allows your doctor to get to your drain and incisions. Some patients find sweat pants with elastic waistbands easy to put on and take off, others prefer a loose dress that can be lifted up easily. So wear whatever works for you.

As far as how you feel, different people recuperate at different rates and it sounds like you had quite a bit of surgery. Obviously, the more surgery you have, the longer the recuperation. Not being able to stand straight and feeling tired easily sound pretty normal at 8 days after surgery. But be sure to discuss this with your surgeon at your next visit as he or she is in the best position to evaluate you and make sure everything is progressing normally.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

What to wear when having your drains removed

+1

Everyone recovers after surgery a little differently.  What you are experiencing is normal after undergoing a tummy tuck, breast augmentatio, and liposuction. Allow yourself several weeks for recovery.  I would suggest wearing comfortable clothing when you have the drains removed. Sweat pants are ideal as they are not tight and can be easily pulled up and down. 

hope you have a quick and comfortable recovery

Michael Zarrabi, MD

A comfortable clothes for drain removal

+1

Hi, it is not unusual to feel tired for 2-3 weeks after tummy tuck and breast augmentation.  People are different in their pain threshold and overall recovery.  Also, it usually take 1-2 weeks for patients to stand straight up after tummy tuck.  Try not to force yourself too soon; let your body dictate how much and how soon you can straighten up.  In regards to clothes to wear to your doctor, you can wear any thing comfortable.  Once she/he removes the drain, she/he will place a gauze over the drain site.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS