Can You Wear Nail Polish when Going in for Your Mommy Makeover Surgery?

Just wondering if I can leave nail polish on my toenails when I go in to have my surgery. My PS didn't mention anything about it so I wondered if it was ok to have them done before I go in. Having my toenails looking cute always lifts my spirits, so I would like to have them done before I go in if it is allowed.

Nail polish should be removed before surgery

+1

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to remove nail polish before surgery.  The polish may get in the way of the instruments that monitor the oxygen level in your blood....sorry!

Nail Polish at Surgery

+1

During surgery one of the instruments that is used is a pulse oximeter.  This device reads the oxygen level in your blood.  It is placed on a finger most of the time.  Some operating rooms will remove polish from one fingernail for this purpose.  A pedicure is unlikely to interfere with monitoring so go ahead and enjoy it!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Mommy makeover preparation

+1

Generally yes this should not be a problem. Always best to check with your surgeon to be sure. Best wishes

+1

I see no issue with toe nail polish. But we are not doing your surgery. Best to call your chosen surgeon for his desires. 

Nail polish before surgery

+1

Yeah go for it. Just avoid very dark shades as they can make it difficult fo monitor your oxygen levels. The anestheia team wil use something called a pulse oximeter which can actually tell the amount of oxygen in your blood just by shining a red light through your nail bed. The instruments have gotten so good that most colors are not a problem - except for the very dark colors.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Get your pedicure before surgery!

+1

Yes, it is fine to go and get a pedicure prior to surgery.  You will likely not be feeling like getting one for a couple of weeks, so having it done right before is a nice treat and keeps those toes looking good!

Christa Clark, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon