Do I Have to Wear my Removable Retainer on Top of my Permanent Retainer During the Day?

I am 21 years old and I just finished a year and a half of invisalign treatment :) They put in a permanent bottom retainer, but to my surprise, they told me I still need to wear the removable retainers on top and bottom all day for 8 weeks. I am on day 3 of wearing them both all day and the bottom ones are destroying my tongue. Im thinking about just wearing the top all the time and the bottoms only at night. What do you think?

Retainers

+1

Never change what your Dr told you to do without talking to them first. Instead of changing your wear time check with your Dr there may be something done to make the lower fit so your tongue is comfortable. Always ask your Dr

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Wearing invisalign retainers all day long

+1

In my opinion and in my office we ask our patients to wear retainers for 3 months all the time after they complete invisalign treatment.  When you do not they have a chance to shift back.  I would speak to your dentist about the issue with your tongue as they should not be doing that

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Removable Retainer Over Fixed Retainer

+1

I rarely ask my patients to wear their retainers ALL day long. It can only help stabilize the teeth if you do, however. There is no way to predict how much your teeth will shift back if you do not wear them.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

The risk is yours to take

+1

Initially after teeth have moved, they want to move back.  If you can be diligent at first, wearing retainers as suggested, you are more likely to keep the teeth where you want them.  If you stray from the advice, you MAY have teeth start to move.  You may not.

It is a gamble, and the risk is up to you.  How much time and money did you spend to get to where you are?  Is it worth the risk?

Perhaps a visit to the dentist or orthodontist would be a good idea, make sure there isn't a simple solution.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist