can you wear makeup over your tattoo (such as dermablend) in between treatments

Im going for my tattoo removal at the end of this month (3 fist sized black and grey roses going down my arm). In the meantime i want to wear makeup on it to cover it but once i have my treatments can i still wear makeup on it as it will be quite sore, red and itchy.??

Makeup After Tattoo Removal Treatments

+1

You can absolutely use a cover up during the times between your tattoo removal, but I would avoid it in the 24-48 hours after your session. As you know, during this time your skin can be inflamed, tender, and even raw, leaving it prone to infection. The chemicals in makeup can further irritate the area, and the product and your hands may have bacteria in them that could cause an infection. Always keep the area moist with a cream like Aquaphor or Neosporin and don't cover the area with makeup until it is fully healed.

Makeup not recommended so soon after tattoo removal

+1

After your treatment, the tattoo will scab over and some bleeding may occur.  A dressing is applied right after treatment that you should leave on for the first 24-48 hours.  I recommend keeping the tattoo moist with Vaseline or Aquaphor and to treat the area gently until it heals over.  While wearing sunscreen on the treated area is recommended, makeup is not, at least not for the first 48-72 hours.  If the area is scabbing, makeup will not only be unable to cover the broken skin, but bacteria from the makeup may irritate the affected area if not washed off properly after each use.  I would recommend waiting until the affected area is healed before applying any type of makeup.

John Soderberg, MD, MPH
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon