How Soon Can I Wear Makeup over a Raised Mole I Had Shaved off of my Chin?

How Soon to Wear MakeUp after Removal of Mole

+2

Genrerally, wounds heal quicker when they are kept clean, moist and covered. It's an old wives' tale that you let the air get to an area and let it scab up to help it heal. The wound produces factors that stimulate and speed wound healing. Letting a wound scab up dries out these chemicals that stimulate wound healing and thus slows down the process. I also feel that keeping it clean, moist and covered help to give a better final cosmetic result. The same type of wound care is frequently recommended for other procedures like chemical peels or laser resurfacing.

So generally I tell patients to keep the wound clean, moist (with Aquaphor or some other bland emollient) and covered with a Telfa ("ouchless" or nonstick) bandage. Care for it twice a day and generally you should be healed in about 10-14 days for a superficial shave removal. Good luck.

Wearing makeup after mole removal

+2

I instruct my patients to wait until the scab has fallen off after a shave mole removal before wearing makeup. Since with this method the mole is actually shaved off at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin, it usually takes five to seven days for the scab to heal.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon