Can I Wear Makeup After Right After my Fraxel Procedure?

I just had my first fraxel procedure 3 days ago. I look awful, like a leopard. I can't leave the house, but am scaring myself in the mirror. Can I put on makeup?

Fraxel and makeup

+1

It sounds as though you had Fraxel Re:pair which is a fractional ablative laser.  You should wash gently and keep your skin moisturized until it heals which may take a week or so.  Once healed, you may apply makeup.  You may wear makeup right after a Fraxel Re:store treatment which is non-ablative.  Avoid the sun after either treatment.

Toronto Dermatologist

Fraxel is best not to use makeup for a week afterwards

+1

Fraxel is great but I always advise my patients not to use makeup for atleast a week after the procedure.  Since your skin is flaking or peeling, I would not want to aggravate that process or irritate the healing skin.  Best to wait a week and apply a topical moisturizer as recommended by your physician in the meanwhile.

Michele S. Green, MD

Fractional Lasers offer great results...

+1

However, without seeing you in person, it is really difficult to tell. Depending upon the depth of the treatments, my patients wore makeup anywhere from days 4 or 5. If you are at home, I would recommend focusing on your healing and remembering to use the appropriate wound dressings for the best long-term results. Try to be patient.

Peter Schmid, DO
Longmont Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel laser and skin reaction

+1

It is impossible to answer the question without examining you in person, knowing if it was the Fraxel Restore, Dual, or Repair laser, what skin type you have and what energy settings were used. The Fraxel Repair laser is the most aggressive and you can look awful for the first few days and less awful for the next week, and healed around 12 days but reddish. The Fraxel Dual can leave you with redness then flaking brown around days three through 5 and pink for a day or two more.  The Fraxel Restore normally leaves some redness that should be even in coverage, some swelling and very light flaking around the third through fifth day with very little bronzing. Makeup can be worn after Fraxel restore. You defiitely need to ask your doctor this question to get the most reliable answer.  This usually would be communicated with you in advance of the treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Yes, if it is not Fraxel Repair

+1

Fraxel Restore, Dual, and Refine are procedures after which you can wear makeup in 2-3 days. Be sure you have new makeup, not old that can be contaminated. Also, wash your hands well before applying. I was wondering why your doctor  d id not advise you on the post-procedure care?

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist