If I Wear my Invisalign Trays for 22.5-23 Hrs a Day, Can I Change Them at Exactly 2 Weeks?

My doctor said I need to wear them for 20 hours a day, and told me I should change them 2-2 1/2 weeks depending on "if it feels loose" but I felt that that description was kind of vague, so I was wondering if I could get a more solid answer. I am not trying to speed up my process by any means, I'm just curious. And I'm also trying to avoid refinements, so if I should wait longer for my teeth to be completely in place, I will. Thank you in advance! :)

How often should i change my invisalign trays.

+2

If you wear your trays for 23 hours a day you should be able to change your trays every 2 weeks without a problem. 

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

You are right on

+2

20 to 22 hours per day are what is required for the optimal results with Invisalign. However, like Bill Gates once said:

"Nothing works perfectly all the time". Wearing them as you are is what has been shown to work the best so keep it up.

One of the reasons Invisalign doesn't work is when the patient is not wearing the aligners as instructed.

Gilbert H. Snow, DDS
Encino Orthodontist

Yes, that should work

+2

If you wear the trays 23 hours a day or better yet, take them out to eat and then put them back in again, you should be able to change aligners every 2 weeks.

Daniel W. Schiavone, DDS
Rochester Cosmetic Dentist

Changing invisalign aligners on time.

+2

That's a really good question.  Invisalign recommends that the aligners be changed every 2 weeks with about 20hrs of wear time per day.  We have found that some complex movements require the aligners to be in place 3 weeks while other movements can be done in less time, 10 days.  It really depends on the plan that your doctor has formulated.  I would follow his/her recommendations.  Keep in mind, that even if worn perfectly there may still be a need for a refinement at the end of treatment as there may be other factors at play.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

2 weeks for changing of aligners

+1

In my opinion, if you are wearing your aligner at least 22 hr per day than you shoul dbe able to change your aligners every 2wks. In fact,  that is my protocol with all my patients. If I have a patient that is not wearing the aligners as often as they should then I may require them to wear them for 2.5 to 3 wks at a time.

Even though you wear your aligner for 2.5 wks does not mean that you will not need refinement. It just all depends on how well your teeeth respond to treatment.

Rod Strober, DDS
San Diego Cosmetic Dentist

Change Invisalign Aligners every two weeks...roughly

+1

Practioners may vary on their view of this, but in general, you should wear your Invisalign Aligners for two weeks at a time. However, per your initial question, wearing them longer will not guarantee that you will not need a refinement, as regardless of wear (and also depending on the difficulty of your case), refinement may be needed.

Mazyar Moshiri, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist