If I Wear a Headband After Otoplasty Will It Get my Ears More Stuck, Because One I Sticking out a Little More then the Other?

Headband after Otoplasty

+2

Great question,

In general you want that headband on 24/7 for the first week, then at night for 2 to 4 weeks.  don't be overly concerned with slight asymmetry at this time. Particularly if you had your surgery less than 10 days ago. As swelling goes down and scar tissue becomes more mature the position of the ears will change slightly. Keep close contact with your surgeon and have them monitor you.

If you do have some asymmetry that could be due to swelling or even a small collection of blood you definitely want to wear the headband.

Chase Lay, MD
double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

I typically recommend the head band 24/7 for the first week and in the evenings for the next 3-5 weeks. The main purpose of the headband is to minimize swelling early on and prevent the ears from being tugged on inadvertently as you heal. The pressure alone will not change the ultimate result - that is created at the time of surgery with sutures and the surgical technique. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon