Do I have to wear a hat and sunscreen 3.5 weeks after an open rhinoplasty?

I had an open rhinoplasty 1/21/14 and I am going to Mexico on 2/15/14. I was wondering if I have to wear a hat and sunscreen the entire time I am out in the sun or can I just wear face SPF 50 on my nose if I am very careful about applying it frequently. Also, am I allowed to wear sunglasses on my trip? I will be there for a week. Any other tips would be great! Thanks!

Sun Exposure Post-Rhinoplasty

+1
I typically request that patients avoid sunbathing for 4 weeks after surgery.  Following this period, you may do so, but must use high SPF sunscreen and avoid burning.  As a general rule, minimizing sun exposure is a good idea, both for preventing aging of the skin, and decreasing your risk of skin cancers.  I would also be happy for you to wear your sunglasses at this point, but would prefer they not be really big heavy ones while your bones are still healing. 
Hope that helps! 
Dr. Alexander

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
  You should always ask  your surgeon, but I always recommend full protection.