Do You Have to Wear Compression Garmets After Tummy Tuck?

Garments after Tummuy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

+1

Typically, a abdominal binder is worn for several weeks following tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure.  In addition, drains are usually used for approximately one to two weeks. 

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

How Long Do I Wear The Compression Garment After A Tummy Tuck?

+1

Dear aamalfi,    We have our patients wear an abdominal binder for 2 weeks. We then have them switch to a panty girdle or Spanx type garment for an additional 2-4 weeks. These garments are more comfortable and are easier to wear as you return to work. The reason for post operative compression is to minimize swelling and seroma formation. Many patients also tell me that they like the "security" the garments give them. We also use external ultra sonic massage at 2 weeks to reduce swelling and increase lymphatic flow.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Use of compression after tummy tuck

+1

My patients use a binder for 1-2 weeks, then switch to Spanx.  This is not only for greater comfort, but also to minimize swelling.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Compression After Tummy Tuck

+1

It is usually beneficial to have some sort of compression in place after tummy tucks.  I always have my patients wear an abdominal binder which works well and less expensive than a compression garment.  This is important since a large space is created between the abdominal apron and underlying muscle during the procedure.

John Whitt, MD

Compression after tummy tuck is a good idea

+1

We like to use an abdominal binder after tummy tuck to suppport the muscle repair, hold the dressing, and to keep the area still and quiet to reduce fluid or seroma, and reduce pain and discomfort in the area. You may not have to wear it, though we feel it does help.