Should I Wear a Compression Garment More or Less if Swelling Persists - Tummy Tuck?

I am almost 7 weeks post-op from a full tummy tuck. I have continued to wear a compression wrap fairly regularly because when I leave it off I get quite puffy by mid day. It seems to be less puffy in the morning. I am not sure if I should continue to wear the wrap or leave it off. The area feels numb and spongy. Also not sure if this is seroma.

+1

Swelling up and down is very normal and will continue for 4-6 months. Wearing a compression garment may help with the swelling and pain. Not wearing a garment should not affect your results at this point.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Where a compressive garment after tummy tuck is directed by your surgeon.

+1

I prefer my patients where a compressive garment for a minimum of six weeks after in abdominoplasty. Wearing it longer is probably a good idea but I don't insist upon it.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

+1

If there is even a thought of seroma, a visit to your surgeon is in order. The surgeon will be in a much better position to answer your questions about timing of compression. He/she knows what was done, and has followed your recovery.

All the best. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.