Do I need to wear a compression garment after a tummy tuck?

I had it done 10 weeks ago and even though my dr said DONT WEAR IT I still did for 4 weeks on and off to relax the swelling it did a fantastic job not is it true if u don't wear it for 12 weeks ur skin won't stick to the abdominal wall?

Compression after tummy tucks

+1
Hi Rima

It sounds like you have had a great result.

Surgeons often have differing views on things like post operative plans, often because there is a wide range of answers that will work fine.

In my mind, compression helps keep the abdominal skin flap down on the muscles, so helps it stick down properly. This pressure should also reduce the risk of fluid collections (seromas) in this space and help force out the fluid (oedema) in the surrounding areas. If you've had liposuction as part of your procedure, the pressure will help collapse down the fat so that it heals in an even layer.

We know that soft tissues (skin, fat, muscle) take 6-8 weeks to heal of roost people, so I ask my patients to wear compression for at least 6 weeks.

I hope that helps you understand my thoughts on compression after tummy tuck surgery.

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

What To Wear After Abdominoplasty

+1
Every surgeon approaches postoperative garments differently. Like anything in medicine, if there are a huge number of approaches, it is unlikely that any one of them is done with a great deal of scientific support. It sounds like you are doing great so if it worked, it worked.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Compression for tummy tuck

+1
The answer to your question will vary from surgeon to surgeon.  I do not have my patients wear compression for approximately two weeks after surgery.  Some garments don't fit properly and if worn too tightly can lessen the blood supply to the tissues causing wound healing issues. Check with your surgeon on what is best for you.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Compression garnet after tummy tuck?

+1
I personally have my patients wear a compression garment after tummy tuck for approximately 6 weeks. This does help reduce swelling and does encourage the skin flap to stick down to the abdominal wall faster. It also discourages formation of a seroma. However I would not go against what your surgeon wants you to do, he or she may have specific reasons in your case not to wear one. You should discuss this with he or she.

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment after Abdominoplasty

+1

I ask my patients to wear some type of compression garment for at least four weeks following abdominoplasty (tummy tuck.)

The garment give patients some needed temporary support; it helps the swelling resolve sooner; and it can help prevent a fluid collection (seroma) beneath the skin.

William McClure, MD

Compression garment after tummy tuck

+1
I encourage my patients to wear a garment for up to 6 weeks. It may help to have the skin stick down and avoid a Seroma (fluid pocket) but that is very unlikely to happen after the first few weeks. 

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon