Is it necessary to wear a compression garment after tumescent liposuction on the abdomen and flanks?

Dear Docs, I have recently (7 hours ago) had a bilateral mastopexy with unilateral fast transfer to correct an asymmetry I had. I had fat taken from my upper and lower tummy and flanks. I have my compression bra on but have been given nothing for my tummy and it is so swollen, at the moment! Should I wear a tight tank top to hold my tummy in, or leave it? I was told about 3/4 of a litre of fast was taken! Any advice so greatly appreciated. Thanks x

Compression garment following tumescent liposuction

+1
I agree with Dr Commons.  I would suggest wearing  a compression garment or abdominal binder for at least 4 to 6 weeks following tumescent liposuction.  Gentle massage over the area will also help mobilize fluid and reduce swelling.  However, check first with your surgeon for their recommendations.  Best wishes.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Abdoninal Binder

+1
You would be well served with an abdominal binder.  This will keep the swelling down and make you a lot more comfortable.   I am not sure why you were not given one.  I would call you surgeon and mention your swelling.   This may have been a simple oversight.  You really will do better with a binder.   Use the binder for 6 weeks.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Compression and liposuction

+1
Some surgeons use compression garments and others do not. It is best to ask your surgeon what his preference is. Good luck.

+1
Wearing a pressure garment after liposuction and or tummy tuck is almost the standard of care. Duration varies from 4-6 weeks. It helps you with reducing the swelling and bruising and also "Grabs" the body uniformly for better healing.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS