Is It Necessary to Wear a CG/Binder After a TT?

My doctor doesn't want me to wear a binder/CG for at least two weeks after surgery. He says there is no proof that they better your results, but does think they put you at a higher risk for blood clots. Please advise...

Compression garment after tummy tuck?

+1

Every surgeon is going to have his/her preference for post operative care. It really is hard to say if one way is better than another. I will agree that doing something just because everyone else is, without any evidence, is not a good reason to do something. But I know that my patients have told me that the compression garments are at least beneficial for comfort and support. I would suggest that they also reduce swelling. Not to be argumentative with your surgeon, but I would guess that there is more evidence that garments help with swelling than evidence that they result in higher risk of blood clots. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Use of Binder/Compression Garment after Tummy Tuck?

+1

It is in the nature of our specialty of plastic surgery that every practitioner may do things differently. Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon for good reasons,  I think that you should have confidence in his recommendations, especially if he/she can demonstrate lots of successful outcomes doing things away that he suggests you do them.

Advice received from online consultants can be varied and potentially confusing ( and anxiety provoking).  If still in doubt, it is reasonable to ask your plastic surgeon about the pros/cons of any specific recommendation he has for you.

+1

I think most surgeons use compression garments, and we think our patients prefer them. Many of mine wear them long after the time course I recommend. However, there is really no evidence that they improve the outcome. 

If your surgeon comes well recommended, and you have seen photos of results, I wouldn't seek other opinions based on a slight difference in post-op care. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Compression Garment After Tummy Tuck

+1

It is important for comfort and for decreasing of swelling to wear a compression garment after a tummy tuck procedure.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

I don't think it's necessary to wear a binder

+1

I have my patients wear an abdominal velcro binder for about 2-3 weeks after surgery. This is not because it is medically necessary, but because it holds the bandages without use of tape and gives support to the abdominal muscles. Overall it gives patients a sense of added security that their incisions will be ok after surgery.

Of course if it becomes uncomfortable, or causes skin irritation, then it's best not to have it on.

James Motlagh, MD
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Binder post tummy tuck

+1

I use a binder/girdle postoperatively on all my tummy tucks. I find the patients appreciated the support and I believe that it does assist the skin/fat area to reattach to the underlying musles/fascia. I do not believe that it increases the incidence of blood clots.

Each surgeon has their own techniques that work for them both in the operating room and for pre and postoperative care. I would follow your surgeons advice. You did your research in picking that surgeon and now follow their normal course.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Need to wear Binder after Tummy Tuck

+1

Your surgeon is correct - there is no proof the binders give better results, they are more for comfort. I use internal progressive tension sutures and have found that the abdominal binders don't make much of a difference. If it works for your surgeon, then it sounds reasonable. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Binder after Tummy Tuck

+1

Most doctors recommend binders after tummy tuck to perhaps reduce the risk for fluid collections, which is one of the most probable outcomes after tummy tuck.   There is also no proof that not wearing a binder reduces blood clots in patients.  Every surgeon will have different ideas on these things.  I will say that the plication that is performed during tummy tuck and the relative tightness of that plication probably is the greatest anatomic determinant to venous outflow from the area.

Binder after Surgery

+1

I have all of my tummy tuck patients wear a binder post-op.  That being said, if your surgeon is concerned about it, I recommend you take his or her advice.  We all do things a little differently and if you want the best results, they will come from following the exact advice of the doctor you choose. Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD