Weak Eye Muscle - Will It Improve?

i had botox 4/10, within one week developed ptosis to rt lid-it has mostly resolved, but my rt lid still is very slightly lower on that iris and the muscle around the eye feels "different" almost weakened when i roll my eyes around in my head!!!! have i done serious or permanent damage?- my lid absolutey was not this way before! can the muscle stay weak for this long???

Weak muscles can be the result of trauma during surgery or from swelling

+1

Surgery around the eyes within the first few weeks can make the eye feel and move differently, and I wouldn’t be concerned about any permanent damage at this point. Weak muscles can be the result of trauma during surgery or from swelling, and this usually resolves on its own.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Weak Eye Muscle after Botox

+1

It is rare, but eye muscle weakness can occur after Botox injection. Like the improvement with Botox, this problem is temporary. If you had your injections in April,2010 the Botox hasno affect on muscle strength 10 months later. You should consult with an opthalmic plastic surgeon to diagnose the cause of your ptosis.

Botox does not cause long term weakness of the eyelid muscle

+1

It is almost one year since your Botox. The effect has completely vanished from the injections. See an ophthalmologist to determine your anatomical situation and you may need a referral to a neuroophthalmologist or an oculoplastic surgeon as the weakness could be related to systemic disease unrelated to the prior Botox treatment. Of course, do not change your current situation by having more botox before you see the eye doctor as they need to evaluate your muscles while they are able to fully move.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ptosis 10 Months After Botox Injections...Not Due to Botox

+1

Hi Feme,

If your Botox was injected 4/10, the effect of Botox has long worn off.  You should consult with an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation of your ptosis.  You may require surgical correction.  It is not related to Botox at this point.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Ptosis after botox

+1
The good news is that the neurotoxin effects will wear off almost completely in 4 months. If it is after that, then you may be noticing a lid asymmetry that you have had- looking at old pictures will tell you if this is new. An oculoplastic surgeon can evaluate you further.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Weak Eye Muscle from Botox

+1

Fortunately or unfortunately, all effects from Botox are temporary and will return to normal after several months. So any undesirable side effects, if they are truly from Botox, are not permanent.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lid Ptosis From Botox Will Improve

+1

If the weakness of your lid is due to Botox, it will resolve completely.  If it has been more than a couple of months since your last treatment and you still notice asymmetry, it's probably not a result of the Botox.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and eyelid ptosis

+1

If eyelid ptosis occurs after the administration of Botox, this effect should not be permanent and typically resolves within 1 month.  If the problem persists for longer than 3-4 months, you may want to consult an oculoplastic surgeon for an evaluation.  Most people are inherently asymmetric so perhaps your right eyelid naturally sits a bit lower than your left.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Muscle weakness after Botox.

+1

The good neews about Botox is that the effects you are seeing will gradually go away, usually in a few weeks, So don't worry.