Using Fillers for Weak Elongated Nostrils

I posted a question previously about nerve damage after a mid face lift. I had a little filler injected under my nares the other day and it seems to be holding them open. Is this OK to do and could I use a more permanent filler?

Bolstering the nasal valves

+1

Although I suppose you can use filler to bolster the nostrils, the better way to do that is by placing grafts along the nasal rims.

Bracing Paralyzed Nostrils

+1

The nostrils are kept open by a supporting arch of cartilage (similar to McDonald's) along the rim of the Lower Lateral Cartilages. In some cases of Tip Rhinoplasty, too much cartilage is removed to refine the tip but results in crimping and nasal collapse on deep inspiration. Such cases are treated by placing a cartilage "stiffening" graft to prevent the collapse.

In your case, I assume your nerve paralysis is preventing you from snarling and FURTHER lifting the nostrils higher and to the sides by a non or poor functioning nasalis muscle. I think filler placement is a good conservative option to allow increased nostril stiffness while the nerve regenerates and re-innervates the muscle. I would advise you not to use any permanent fillers here. A permanent result, is not reversible.

Fillers to help nasal breathing or obstruction

+1

It is interesting that you note this as many of my patients report a similar minor relief of nasal obstruction. There is some logic to bolstering the external nasal valve in individuals with peri-alar deficiency and this may provide some support to a weak nostril associated with flaccid muscle tone secondary to motor nerve compromise.  I do not see a contraindication to permanent fillers but your nerve "damage" may not be permanent and you may want to consider a long term filler instead unless you like the cosmetic results in addition to the funtional improvements