Very Weak Chin & Thick Lower Lip?

My normal relaxed face is pretty horrible but If I bite/pull on my lower lip, it brings my lower jaw forward and makes my lower lip look quite a bit thinner and very drastically changes my appearance for the better. My guess is that I need a chin augmentation along with lip reduction. Do you think that's correct or is there something else going on?

Options for weak chin and thick lower lip

+1

Photos would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice. In general, a chin implant is simple procedure that can yield fantastic improvements for a weak chin. However, if there is an issue with your jaw, that would need to be addressed separately by a board certified maxillofacial surgeon. From here, I would recommend a consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to assess your needs, and may use computer imaging software to give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear if you are a good candidate for a chin augmentation. He/she will also be able to provide you with advice on your lower lip. I hope this helps, and best of luck! 

Good Candidate Criteria for Chin Implant

+1

Without an exam or even photos your question cannot be answered. However, Here is some helpful information to see if you are a good candidate for a chin implant augmentation procedure:

Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Intended Result
Chin augmentation most often is used to restore balance to the face due to a weak chin (under-projecting in profile). This disproportion of facial structure—having a small chin—tends to make the nose look larger and results in a poor jaw/neckline. As it doesn’t support the neck skin, often it causes skin to hang down from the upper neck and can lead eventually to a “turkey waddle” deformity. Chin implants can also create a wider, stronger chin. They can also be used to lengthen the face slightly.

The augmentation is performed  with a sterile, biologically inert implant (such as silicone or Medpor) which is placed over the bone of the lower jaw so it feels like your real chin and not like a separate implant.

A wide range of chin implants are available, depending on the patient’s needs and goals. These implants vary in their dimensions and are made of different materials. The proper selection of the correct size and type of implant by your plastic surgeon is critical for you to achieve the look you want.

It is very important to select a highly-skilled, board-certified plastic surgeon, or ENT or Oral Surgeon experienced in this procedure, to aid you in selecting the implants and insertion methods that will give you the best possible result.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin implant?

+1

If you like the look you get when you protrude your jaw, it is certainly possible that a chin implant might help. An in-person exam or photos would be helpful to take the decision-making process to the next step.  See your friendly neighborhood PS for more information.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Weak Chin and Thick Lower Lip

+1

It is important to carefully analyze all of the structures of the lower face to decide on the best procedure or combination of procedures. Specifically, the dental occlusion should be evaluated, and the chin should be analyzed in all spatial planes, horizontal and vertical.  Chin augmentation with an implant is a wonderful procedure to correct horizontal chin deficiency with normal dental occlusion.  Whether or not correction of lower lip excess is necessary is also dependent on your specific appearance, and requires a careful examination. 

Jonathan Sykes, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weak chin, protruding lower lip

+1

It sounds like a chin implant will make a nice improvement for you. You might not need anything direct the lip. You need to be evaluated in person. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weak Chin and Thick Lower Lip

+1

Based on your description a chin implant and reduction of the lower lip would probably improve proportions in the lower 1/3rdf your face. However, I need to see pictures before giving you a specific answer.

Possible Chin Augmentation

+1

Photographs would be needed to give you an expert opinion (profile and front view). With the facial movements you discuss above and those expressions making the desired alterations then it sounds like a chin augmentation is probably needed. Again photographs would be necessary. If you would like to send photographs to me personally at the address listed below I would be happy to evaluate them and give my expert opinion. During the consultation process in my office I always use a digital imaging computer which allows the patient the ability to see their proposed surgical results. This is especially helpful in visualizing the changes desired of rhinoplasty and chin augmentation. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin and lip

+1

It's impossible to give you advice on the issue with your chin and lip without seeing at least some pictures of you.  Pictures taken from the front and sides would be very helpful.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon