I Have A Weak Chin/Jaw, Am I a Batter Candidate For Orthognathic or Implant?

I've been insecure about the lower half of my face for a very long time. I recently spoke with an oral surgeon who informed me that he can correct my weak chin/jaw through orthodontics + jaw surgery/genioplasty, though I'd like to see if there are any other solutions. Would implants (chin and perhaps jaw) be able to offer a comparably strong/balanced definition? I'm considering rhinoplasty in conjunction (primarily to correct breathing problems).

Chin Augmentation

+4

It is impossible to know whether or not someone should proceed with an osseous genioplasty or a chin augmentation with performing an exam.  However, in general, chin implants only help to increase the overall projection of the chin, and can only do so by 1 cm or less.  Patients with bite issues, excessive microgenia (underprojected chin), or length issues should proceed with an osseous genioplasty.  It is important to remember that osseous genioplasty is a more involved procedure, has a longer recovery period, and has a higher risk of complications.

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant or orthognathic surgery?

+2

A chin implant is an excellent procedure that is much simpler and easier than the orthognathic surgery.  Orthognathic surgery involves breaking the jaw and setting it forward.  The chin implant itself can be done under a local anesthesia in the office.  The implants come in multiple different sizes and shapes but we always recommend the silastic type implant.  They are placed directly over the bone of the mandible and create more projection.  A rhinoplasty is performed for cosmetic purposes, not for breathing issues.  A septoplasty is performed to improve airflow dynamics through the nose.  Septoplasty and rhinoplasty can both be done at the same time.  Nasal surgery is performed under general anesthesia.  However, the chin implant can be done under general anesthesia as well if the patient is undergoing anesthesia for another procedure, such as nasal surgery.  

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

Chin implants are effective and safer than orthognatic surgery for most people.

+2

Hi.

Orthognatic surgery is MUCH more surgery, and you can get a very good result with a well placed, large, anatomical chin implant (really a mandibular implant because it extends along the sides).

Orthognatic surgery is necessary if your teeth don't bite together properly.

Weak jaw

+2

If your bite is normal then implants, from the pictures may be a chin implant and angle of the mandible implant. may achieve what you want. Cosult a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY)

Orthognathic surgery versus chin implant

+1

Orthognathic surgery can more completely address your overall tooth allignment whereas a chin implant won't change this at all. The oral surgery is a bigger procedure with a longer recovery, though. A chin implant should be about to improve your chin projection, though.

Functional nose surgery can be done at the same time as a chin implant. Make sure that the nose surgery is done by someone experienced in treating functional nasal breathing problems.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/chin-augmentation