Do I Have a Weak Chin and Need Cosmetic Chin Surgery?

I've always thought I had a small/weak chin and it's always bothered me. I have really high cheek bones and I believe my chin makes my face look very round and my cheeks look really big, giving me a "baby face" kind of look from the side. I asked a family member their opinion and they think I'm crazy and nothing is wrong with my chin. I took a short video and held the camera around my face at different angles. Here is the link.

+1

Thank you for your question. A filler in the chin can give a little chin extension and is not very invasive.  Meet with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and evaluate all alternatives from invasive to invasive.  Chin implants are an option, but long term they have their own set of issues so discuss this as well. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Correcting a "Weak Chin" by Chin Augmentation

+1

Your link doesn't work so it is hard to give you a specific answer. However, I can provide information that will inform you on how to make a decision:

Candidates for Chin Augmentation

Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Intended Result

Chin augmentation most often is used to restore balance to the face due to a weak chin (under-projecting in profile). This disproportion of facial structure—having a small chin—tends to make the nose look larger and results in a poor jaw/neckline. As it doesn’t support the neck skin, often it causes skin to hang down from the upper neck and can lead eventually to a “turkey waddle” deformity. Chin implants can also create a wider, stronger chin. They can also be used to lengthen the face slightly.

The augmentation is performed  with a sterile, biologically inert implant (such as silicone or Medpor) which is placed over the bone of the lower jaw so it feels like your real chin and not like a separate implant.

A wide range of chin implants are available, depending on the patient’s needs and goals. These implants vary in their dimensions and are made of different materials. The proper selection of the correct size and type of implant by your plastic surgeon is critical for you to achieve the look you want.

It is very important to select a highly-skilled, board-certified plastic surgeon, such as one of our doctors, to aid you in selecting the implants and insertion methods that will give you the best possible result.

Chin augmentation involves very minimal scarring. If the incision is made below the chin, it will be done in a natural fold of the skin or in a manner that will make the scar inconspicuous. If the incision is made inside the mouth, no external scar will be visible at all. In any case, the scar will not be visible in typical social encounters.

It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/face/chin-augmentation/

+1

The link provided does not work, but chin augmentation is the procedure that will improve a weak chin.  The chin implant in most patients is a good option.  Find a plastic surgeon with who performs hundreds of facial surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Chin-Implant.php