Ways To Deal with Hypertrophic Scars?

About a year ago, I got a mole removed through excision from my left butt cheek. It healed into a hypertrophic scar about 1cm in diameter. The other day I got into an accident and had a nail in my other butt cheek and ended up with a wound about the same size as the mole removal scar. I'm guessing it will end up being a hypertropic scar. I'm rather upset at the two identical marks on both of my buttocks and I'm wondering what can be done to lighten those scars.

Hypertrophic scars

+1

If it is pure hypertrophy the the passage of time will improve the scars. Aggressive massage, steroid creams and injections also help

Red hypertrophic scars from a biopsy and injury - treatment of the condition

+1

You have made an excellent diagnosis of your condition.  Red hypertrophic scars respond well to pulsed dye laser and future fractional co2 laser. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Hypertrophic Scars Respond Well To Intralesional Steroids

+1

True hypertrophic scars, sometimes referred to as "proud flesh" scars typically project upward above the skin surface. They can result from injury, surgery or infection and represent an overabundance of abnormal thick bundles of scar collagen. They may be pink and may itch or feel uncomfortable. Keloids, another kind of elevated scar characteristically grow outward to the sides (as well as upward) and extend beyond the boundaries of the original wound. Both kinds of scars can be thought of as the result of an exaggerated wound healing response.

Fortunately, these scars, particularly hypertrophic ones, respond well to intralesional (i.e. confined only to the scar itself0 injections of antiinflammatory steroids, such as triamcinolone acetonide suspension instilled in various concentrations depending upon need. One or more treatment sessions may be necessary to flatten the scar and eliminate its color. Results are most often gratifying. When needed, treatment may be supplemented by the concomitant injection of an antimitotic agent 5-fluorouracil, or the use of freezing agents, like liquid nitrogen to soften the scar.

Since there are a number of different kinds of scars,  it is essential, to have them properly diagnosed by a professional before any treatment is initiated. Depressed scars, cigarette paper type scars, pock marks, etc. will not respond, and may in fact be worsened, by the use of tissue thinning antiinflammatory injections.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Treatment of scar hypertrophy

+1
Hypertrophic scars can be treated with topical silicone gel or sheeting, corticosteroid injections or surgical excision and reclosure of the wound in some cases. Just remember that whenever the skin is breached full thickness, there will be a scar.

Robert L. Kraft, MD