I would like a Chin Implant to make my profile more proportionate, but I'm concerned about it lengthening my face. (photo)

Two more things about my face: 1. I do have TMJ, so my jaw is a little off center. 2. I broke my nose in a car accident years ago. My ears, nose, and throat doctor reset it, but I see and feel that it is a little crooked. I do want plastic surgery for myself, not to please anyone else. I am only coming on here so that I can really research my options before I ever go under the knife.

Chin implant with TMJ

+1
You would need to be seen face-to-face to determine what procedure is best for you for the look you want.
A chin implant can be placed that will not lengthen your face. 

I would like a Chin Implant to make my profile more proportionate, but I'm concerned about it lengthening my face.

+1
An implant would be a reasonable choice. The chin implant can be sized to fit your desires.

Harmonious profile

+1
Thanks for your question. You are a good candidate for a chin implant. To determine the size and contour an exam would be required. A secondary rhinoplasty could be considered.

The face is divided into thirds. The first third extends from the hairline to eye level. The second from eye level to the upper lip and the lower third from the upper lip to the chin. What we look for is a harmonious profile, that is a balanced profile. Sometimes all that it takes is rhinoplasty, sometimes a rhinoplasty with chin implant and sometimes just a chin implant. This seems to be the case with you. I perform all of my chin implants through a buccal incision, that is....through the inside of the lower lip. I prefer this approach because all too often I have seen chin implants displaced downward when the incision has been made under the chin.There are many surgeons that are very successful with this method and as for me, it's a matter of personal preference.

I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they are certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery and have years of experience in performing chin implants. Furthermore, request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits? Good luck.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. We are one of only a few in South Florida that employ a web based program called TouchMD. Through this program potential patients from as far away as California can upload their photos. I then review each and everyone and draw my recommendations on your actual picture. This info is made available to you with the use of a private password that only you will have. TouchMD is private and follows all applicable privacy laws (HIPPA). I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals. Good Luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Chin implant for recessive chin profile

+1
The primary goal of a chin implant is to give horizontal projection to the chin. The secondary benefit is to give a slight amount of width and  vertical projection to the chin as well.  Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and are inserted through a sub mental incision under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. For more information, diagrams and before and after photo gallery, please see the link below

Chin implant and nasal surgery

+1
 If you have significant asymmetry of the chin, a genioplasty would be better than a chin implant.  It would correct the asymmetry and could advance and even shorten the face if needed.  That should not affect TMJ issues.  A rhinoplasty could easily be done at the same time.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD, DDS  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

+1
Posted photos are not very helpful.. Only OIN PERSON examination is warranted in your case. I might use a small chin implant... 

+1
Yes, you are correct, you would benefit from a chin implant.  You do have a recessive chin.  If you place your finger from your lips straight down, your chin should almost touch your finger.  Yours is back.  Adding a chin implant will not lengthen your face, but add projection to your chin.   As for your nose, it is hard to see  well.  You may want to send a better front view photo.