Can I Wax After I Finished my 6 Sessions IPL Course? Will It Make Hair to Regrow?

Hi there :) I bought a 6 sessions IPL course. I know I don't have to wax before and inbetween treatments, and that shaving is the only thing I can do. But today I''ve been told that even after I finish the 6 sessions I shpuld not wax because this would make the hair to regrow just like before! Is this true? I mean is the hair that IPL hits dead forever or will it actually regrow? Thank you!

Waxing After IPL and the Permanency of Laser Hair Removal

+3

Waxing should be fine after your IPL treatment series. The thing with IPL is that results are not very predictable compared to laser hair removal. Lasers only use one wavelength.  On the other hand,  IPL uses many different wavelengths which can react with individual variances in many different ways. It is not certain whether or not hair removed from IPL will grow back or not.

Even with laser hair removal, Only hairs that are in the active growth phase (ANAGEN) respond most effectively to laser treatment. Since up to half of the hair at any given time can be in the resting phase (TELOGEN), almost half of the hair would not respond. That is why serial and multiple treatments are necessary. Also, hair growth cycles are different for different patients. This is usually governed by genetics and how the hair follicles react to the presence of androgens in the system

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Waxing after IPL hair removal

+2

I agree with you that waxing after laser or IPL hair removal should not cause the hair to regrow for the reasons you mention. I would also recommend you consider laser hair removal (not IPL) in the future as this is a more effective treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, you can wax after series of IPL treatments

+1

After your IPL sessions, you can go ahead and wax the treated area as photo facials do not disrupt the stratum corneum. However, IPL therapy has been shown to cause hair removal which may or may not grow back.  The darker your hair and the lighter your skin, the more likely you are to have reduction of hair follicles.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon