What Wavelength of Laser or IPL Should Be Used?

What wavelength or setting of IPL or laser can I use to shrink my hair follicles? I don't want to remove my hair but just make it grow finer. If theoretically, most of the hair is in anagen?

What wavelength of laser or IPL is best for "shrinking" hair follicles

+1

It is important that the following are present for best results:

1. Favorable anantomy- lighter skin and dark coarse hair

2. longer wavelength- NdYag Diode to reach deep enouugh to damage living portion of follicle

3. Adequate training and knowlege of laser operator.

see video answer below

Best

Dr. Malouf

Dallas Dermatologist

Wavelength for thinning hair

+1

The ideal wavelength for hair reduction is between 695nm-810nm.  You can't "shrink" the follicles and cause them to grow in thinner, but by removing about 15-20% of the total hair in any given area per treatment, what grows back will appear thinner. 

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD