How Much Water Retention is Normal After Lip Injections?

I got lip injections done yesterday. Perlane 1/2 ml to be exact. My lips have swelled quite large. I come to find they expand with any water. So I'm guessing its water retention. Is there anything I can do about this? The swelling is significant enough to not leave my house. My upper lip is very firm and oddly duck like large. What to do?

Juvederm and post injection swelling - Los Angeles

+1

Some facial fillers such as Juvederm absorb water in the initial stage, leading to lip swelling. I provide my patients with BruiseFighter to decrease swelling in my Los Angeles office. Raffy Karamanoukian

Swollen Lips After HA Perlane Treatment

+1

Thanks for your great question.  I think that you should have a great outcome with only a half cc injection.  You probably have seen significant reduction since your injection.  

There are some good points to offer here.

First thing, I have injected hyaluronic acid products for over 10 years.  After hundreds of lip injections, I can assure you that most patients can really benefit from at least a full cc or mL injection assuming they are good candidates and don't have other products already in place.  I don't think you have too much volume in place now.

Second, most injection swelling is simply from the trauma of the needle.  Perlane is quite a thick product and usually is injected with a thicker needle than Restylane or Juvederm Ultra Plus.  Most of the swelling is probably just from the minor needle entry points.  This usually reaches a maximum at 48 hours and will subside.  Rest, Ice, Elevate.

Third, consider using Arnica Montana next time.  Do your research first.  We cannot advocate for medications, OTC, or surgery on message boards, but I would recommend you read up on this option.  I prefer the oral supplements for my patients.

Lastly, in the event that a week or two has passed, if you believe you are over-corrected, contact your surgeon.  Most of us will have hyaluronidase available to make corrections with no down-time.  You should have results that you are satisfied with in 30 minutes with a few minor injections.

Thanks for your helpful question.

Dr. Hobgood.

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling following lip augmentation

+1

It is not abnormal to have swelling one day after a lip augmentation with filler. The swelling  can take up to 1-2 weeks to resolve completely, and it is best to give it some time. I would recommend communicating any concerns to your provider in the meantime, as they know the extent of your treatment. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Swelling after lip enhancement with perlane is normal

+1

Swelling after lip injections with Perlane can occur.  It is a combination of swelling due to the trauma as well as a small amount of water that the product absorbs.  I think early on most of the swelling is from trauma.  Icing the area may help a little but the real treatment is time and patience.  It will improve within a week. Dr. Julia Carroll, Dermatologist, Toronto, Canada.

Julia Carroll, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Unusual swelling after a lip injection

+1

I would not expect you to have that degree of swelling and firmness from just a Perlane injection.  IT is possible that you have so bruising and this bleeding is causing the swelling. 

Swelling After Lip Injections

+1

I am not convinced it is water retention, perhaps just soft tissue swelling from the injections. If they remain very large for several days, I would follow up with the doctor who did the injections. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD