Is Water Assisted Liposuction As Effective As Smart Lipo?

I am scheduled to receive Water Assisted Liposuction and the Smart Lipo to help retract the skin.

Is the WAL (Water Assisted Liposuction) as effective as doing just the Smart Lipo? I can't find anyone who has had this procedure

The most important factor is the surgeon holding the instruments

+1

Today, there are numerous types of liposuction body contouring procedures. Unfortunately, there is a tremendous amount of marketing hype and over-salesmanship. The most important factor is the person holding the instruments. I would strongly advise you to see a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon who is experienced in body contouring. Look at his/her credentials, experience, and outcomes. It would be advisable to talk to references. Do your homework!

I hope you find this helpful.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Alphabet Soup - What's in the Name?

+1

Liposuction, tumescent lipo, laser assisted lipo, Cool Lio, Smart Lipo, Pro Lipo, now Water Lipo, and on and on. How are you to know what's vest? Go to an experienced surgeon with experience in body contouring (surgical and nonsurgical as in liposuction of all types). Get a complete exam and consultation, state your goals, and let the surgeon explain to you what he can achieve toward those goals (and if you are realistic), what the risks might be along with the pros and cons. All of these liposuction/liposculpture techniques are with different tools. A paintbrush in one artists hands can do one thing and a different paintbrush in another can produce just as good a work of art. It's the experise of the surgeon and his artistic perspective and realistic approach. Laser assisted techniques all work by generating heat and that is where the skin tightening emanates. That is why I use the term laser assisted liposculpture. There is a role for lasers and in the smaller cases (not large volume liposuction) they can be performed under local anesthesia, you will have less bruising, less pain, less swelling and a quicker recovery. There is no doubt about this in these smaller cases, but a surgeon's experience may dictate where to draw the line and use traditional or ultrasonic or a combination of these techniques with the laser.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

I agree with the first answer.

+1

The names and types of liposuction are marketing tools. The skill and experience of the surgeon gives the best result: not a clever name to sell hype.

Too many choices

+1

There is no advantage to Smart lipo or Jet lipo. The only advantage you should look for is an experienced and "smart" board certified plastic surgeon. It is not the wand but the magician that will make the difference. All the rest is hype and marketing.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Liposuction

+1

The question of the year! Every few years, companies introduce a new liposuction technology touting it as the latest and greatest. In short, all of the liposuction technologies follow the same basic premise; introducing a wetting solution to help control bleeding and allow for easier extraction of fat cells and mechanical removal of fat cells from the body.

I tell people to focus on the magician rather than the magic wand. That is, find a plastic surgeon who comes highly recommended and who can show you quality consistent results. Let him or her decide on the most appropriate liposuction technique. So to answer your question, yes, the two liposuction techniques are equally effective provided they are performed by a well-trained plastic surgeon. Hope this helps you.

Elan B. Singer, MD