How Can I Make Scarring on Breast Less Noticable?

How can I make this scarring less noticeable? Its faded to white but very noticable still and makes me feel very self concious.

Breast scarring less noticable

+1

It’s very difficult to definitively answer your question without seeing you, or at the very least seeing a photo, and I would also need to know how far along you are in your postop healing.  Generally speaking, after six months, you will see the scarring that you are left with, so it may be that you just need time. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast scars

+1

To best answer this question, we would need to know the location of your scar.  The available options to improve a white, or hypopigmented scar, include tattooing or removing the scar and resuturing the incision.  The choice of procedure really depends on what the scar looks like.  Please follow up with your surgeon to see what he or she recommends for you. 

Best of luck and thank you for your question.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

+1

By the time a scar is white it is usually healed and not likely to change anymore. Without a photo it is not possible for me to give any specific advice. If the scar is wide, it often can be improved with a scar revision surgery. If it is narrow, the best alternative may be tattooing. Ask your surgeon to look at the scar and make a recommendation. All the best. 

Scar on breast

+1

If your scar is white then it sounds like it has healed.  Perhaps you can get medical tattooing to blend the color?

Breast scarring

+1

How can you make scarring on breasts less noticeable? If it has faded to white, then it's very difficult to correct because it has reached its final phase.  White is actually good because sometimes the scars and darken or thicken and be really unsightly.

I would say that if you are truly dissatisfied with the white line, then consider some camoflage tattoo. You have to pick the tattoo artist carefully to make sure they specialize in this type of work since it is very exacting.

James Motlagh, MD
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Scar formation after breast surgery

+1

Scar formation is often individually dependent.  Some people form barely noticeable scars while others have darker or raised scars.  However, scar minimization can be achieved with the use of silicone gel patches or ointments.  Steroid ointments, tapes, and injections can also work.  The best thing to do is to ask your plastic surgeon as to what treatment is the best for you.  There are more invasive treatments as well such as chemical peels or lasers to make the scars fade.  But, these treatments can also have the risk of making the scars lighter or darker than your own skin pigment.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Improving The Scar

+1

Thank you for the question. Anytime the skin has a full thickness incision a permanent scar will result. What we try to attain is a thin almost imperceptible scar. Sometimes this does not occur and a revision is needed to improve the scar. Typically incisions will fade and improve over the first year post-op. I am afraid that without a picture and without knowing how far out from your surgery you are it is difficult to comment on how to revise the scar or even whether it should be revised at this point. Consider posting pictures.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Scarring

+1

Once you cut through the full thickness of the skin, you will have a scar.  Scars tend to flatten and fade over time, usually reaching maturity in about a year to a year and a half.  There are a number of scar "remedies" that can be put on scars.  Personally, I think all of these are voodoo but I don't discourage my patients from using them.  Ideally, we would like a thin, flat scar with good color compared to the surrounding skin.  While we cannot make scars disappear, there are little tricks that can be done to perhaps make them less noticeable.  You would need to consult with your plastic surgeon to see what might work best for you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast Scars Following Augmentation

+1

Without a picture, it is difficult to be able to tell you whether your breast scar following breast augmentation is typical or not.  Although scars do become lighter and less noticable in time, it can be a source of concern for many women.  For my breast augmentation patients we use a transaxillary approach, where a tiny incision is made under the armpit so that there is no visible scar on the breast itself.  Many plastic surgeons make the incision under the breast and sometimes minimize the fact scarring will occur, but for women who don't have much of a fold under the breast, it can be quite visible.  I am sorry to hear are unhappy with your breast scar. Depending on when you had your surgery, it may fade a bit  more with time. Please talk to your plastic surgeon about options and your concerns. Good luck to you.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

White Scar Still Noticeable After Breast Augmentation

+1

A white scar is better than a pigmented scar.  If the scar is wide this can be excised to produce a thinner, finer scar.  If you posted a picture, more accurate information could be offered.