Bump on Nose Needs Shaved Down: Will the Nose Need to be Broken to do This? (Photo)

I am interested in getting my nose done. However, I wanted to know if the nose had to be broken if you just want to get the bump in your nose shaved down? I do not want anything else done. i do not want my nostrils touched. i am only interested in the removal of the bump. I have no prior issues with my nose. I breathe perfectly fine with it. Will getting this procedure done affect my breathing and do the nose have to be broken to get this procedure done? Thank you

Dorsal hump correction

+1
The answer is likely yes. When dorsal humps are reduced, if the nasal bones aren't brought in you may suffer a deformity on the dorsum called an open roof.  This will narrow your nose a bit but not enough to cause breathing difficulties postop.  Best wishes!

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Smoothing down a bump on the nose sometimes requires the bones to be broken

+1
From your photos, it appears as though you may need to have the bones broken on the sides.  I know this sounds scary, but I have done this many times and it's really not that bad.  The bones are actually only partly broken and this is necessary to prevent a boxy appearance to the dorsum or top part of the nose.  As far as affecting your breathing, it will most likely not affect it at all.  However, there is a risk that it will affect your breathing, so make sure you review all the risk and benefits prior to the procedure.  In my experience, the procedures you're requesting have not affected my patients' breathing at all.  Thanks for your question!

Dr. Schreiber

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Probably

+1
Most of the time when a dorsal bump on the nose is shaved down it leaves a square appearance to the nose. To correct this one must break the bones aka perform osteotomies. In african americans you must be cautious on the degree of the infracture, as you do not want to make the top of teh nose too narrowed compared tothe base.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

You Will Almost Certainly Need To Break The Nose When You Shave The Bump- If You Want It To Look Good

+1
If the nose isn't broken when the bump is shaved down you will end up with a wide flat spot where the bump used to be. Usually not a good look. By breaking the nose, you are able to move the nasal bones inwards, thinning out the area where the bump was removed. None of this will affect your breathing. Find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area who does computer imaging as a part of the consultation to get a good idea of what the final result will look like. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does Nose Need To Be Broken After Reducing Hump

+1
If you would like to have your dorsal hump to be shaved down you will very likely need to have your nose broken.  This should not have any effect on your breathing through your nose because the air flows much lower through your nose.

Michael Sundine, MD

Creating a smooth and straight dorsum

+1
In addition to the photos that you provided, a true profile (side, lateral) view would be helpful to see how large the dorsal hump (bump on the bridge) is. From the photos you have posted, it appears that you would need osteotomies (controlled fractures) of the bones to create a smooth and straight dorsum on the frontal view and avoid an inverted-V deformity (the appearance of an upside-down V-shaped shadow on the frontal view) after surgery. When the dorsal hump is reduced during surgery and appropriate attention is given to restoring the transition area between the nasal bones above and cartilages below along the bridge, you should not have a problem with breathing following rhinoplasty.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Bump on Nose Needs Shaved Down: Will the Nose Need to be Broken to do This?

+1
Your breathing should not be affected, and the bones will likely need to be broken.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Will reducing the bump on the nose need breaking the bones

+1
Hi. It is likely that the bones will need to be broken. Just reducing the bump often makes the nose look wider, and your nasal bones already look a little wide at the junction of the bone and cartilage. You should also be aware that reducing the top part of the nose can make the tip of your nose look relatively larger. Regards Dr Charles Cope.

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Is it Necessary to Break Bones Following Hump Removal?

+1
With the pictures you submitted I cannot be sure if it will be necessary to have osteotomies after removal of your hump. If I was a betting man (I'm not) I feel you will probably need to have the nose broken to avoid increased width of your nose after surgery. Your question can be answered after a physical examination.  

Just a shave?

+1
I think that the nasal bones should probably be narrowed as well. If you notice, not only do you have a bump on the top, which can be simply shaved down, but on both sides you seem to have an area that protrudes out further to the side. I am concerned that if you only shave the top bump down that the side bumps will be even more noticeable and make your nose look too wide. You don't need to do anyting to the tip of your nose.

Ronald Schuster, MD